Gio to retire from all football after the World Cup

Guest Flying Hippo

Guest Flying Hippo

Netherlands skipper Giovanni van Bronckhorst will retire from playing after this summer's World Cup finals.

The 35-year-old defender plans to join the technical staff at Feyenoord, the club where he has been in the team.

Van Bronckhorst, who enjoyed spells with Arsenal, Barcelona and Rangers, has won 97 caps, scoring five goals.

He said: "I had doubts for months and the decision to quit wasn't easy but now I feel relieved. The World Cup is a beautiful end for my career."

One of the most talented players to ever play for Rangers imo. Ended slightly acrimoniously but for 2 years he was an absolute joy to watch. Staggering to think he's 35!

Give me Lafferty playing at left midfield over Gio anyday of the week. :eek:

Gio was fantastic and yet another player in the long list of players who uses the SPL as a stepping stone to better things, but one of the very few who managed it.

Gio was part of the best collective Rangers midfield Ive ever seen and probably ever likely to see. Yes we've had better individuals like Gascoigne and Laudrup but this list is frightning considering it was all there at the same time.

Reyna

Tugay

Ferguson

Albertz

Gio

McCann

kanchelskis

Agree with that Gribz....

Gio is one of the best modern day players to have played for Rangers IMO. It was a shame he ended up at left-back for the likes of Arsenal and Barca as I always felt he was a better central midfield player.

Gio was part of the best collective Rangers midfield Ive ever seen and probably ever likely to see. Yes we've had better individuals like Gascoigne and Laudrup but this list is frightning considering it was all there at the same time.

Reyna

Tugay

Ferguson

Albertz

Gio

McCann

kanchelskis

tbh McCann was criticised a lot when he was at Rangers, and Kanchelskis certainly didn't do that well. Tugay was also fairly underwhelming for us. Of that lot, Reyna was a surprise and did very well, before insulting us by saying his new Sunderland club was bigger, Gio was just great, Ferguson excellent, and Albertz was a bit hit and miss with him being brilliant at times but anonymous at others.

Time can change a lot it seems.

tbh McCann was criticised a lot when he was at Rangers, and Kanchelskis certainly didn't do that well. Tugay was also fairly underwhelming for us. Of that lot, Reyna was a surprise and did very well, before insulting us by saying his new Sunderland club was bigger, Gio was just great, Ferguson excellent, and Albertz was a bit hit and miss with him being brilliant at times but anonymous at others.

Time can change a lot it seems.

Dont see how McCann was criticised, i cant remember that at all. He was a great crosser of the ball, had pace and could beat a man. I thought he was under rated.

Tugay probably didnt get a run in the team so much due to Ferguson, Albertz and Gio being banker starters - and rightly so.

Albertz was entitled to a few bad games due being simply awesome and banging 15-20 goals in every season.

Guest Flying Hippo

Albertz tends to be overrated as a footballer by younger fans who were only around 10 or 11 when he played for us

His scoring record was sensational and he was a Novo-esque cult figure, but he wasn't a magnificent all round player, far from it