LEE McCULLOCH could be set for a sensational summer switch to the Bundesliga

Like him or loathe him his versatility and ability are 2 of the reasons we won the league this season.

He's played in a lot of games, so he figures in the grand picture of the season as a contributing member of the team, but bar a few highlights he can't be singled out as anything spectacular. Versatility wise, I don't think he should ever be considered to play as a central defender, which amazingly he has been. Ability wise, I don't see him as much more than a solid, tough squad player that's managed to do a job for us. It's not as if he's brimming with talent.

Lee McCulloch proved himself a vital cog in our armoury particularly this season and he was in the side on merit.

There wasn't a particularly large squad to choose from. I'd say he was in the squad on 'experience' more than anything else & it's one of Walter's many gambles (albeit a semi-safe one) that's happened to pay off.

I also don't agree that Thomson is the future - I think he's been quite poor since the St Johnston humiliation, despite a month of great form up till that game.

If he stays injury-free, most people expect him to develop into a fine fine player.

I think that Davis and Edu are the future, personally, and McCulloch has a vital role of versatility to play.

As long as big lee legend doesn't play in defense I'm happy. Not sure what all this versatility talk is about. Some of the outfield players are capable of putting on the gloves and standing between the sticks, but that normally doesn't give them the moniker of being Mr. Versatile.

he's certainly paid back his transfer fee in his performances.

If he'd put in exactly the same performances and we hadn't won the league for the past two seasons, you wouldn't be saying he'd paid back his transfer fee.

Why is Lee McCulloch so damn unpopular among us fans...

His transfer fee which people find extortionate (myself included). His performances the season previous to this one were very questionable and he has taken time to win fans back and slowly has done, with some fans (myself included).

His transfer fee which people find extortionate (myself included).

A seasoned Scotland international with plenty of Premiership experience cost too much at �£2.25M?

I remember when we originally offered Wigan �£700 - Paul Jewell became a figure of hate because he laughed at our offer as insulting and dirisory. But ironically we did all agree the bid we'd made was rather poor.

His performances the season previous to this one were very questionable and he has taken time to win fans back and slowly has done, with some fans (myself included).

His performances previous to this season were dubious because he kept being shunted around the team. Like Whittaker he got no chance to settle in one position. Like Whittaker his displays were not terrific while that happened.

But once he settled in midfield his displays became extremely important to us.

As an aside I'm in the same boat as you - I wasn't a huge fan for his first season and a half, but this season he's come into his own and proved himself to me.

�£1M would be a steal and he's a valuable asset worth retaining imo.

If he'd put in exactly the same performances and we hadn't won the league for the past two seasons, you wouldn't be saying he'd paid back his transfer fee.

That's a very tenuous argument. That's like saying if Davis had put in the same displays and we hadn't won the league twice, he wouldn't have won POTY this season.

Roughly put, I think your point is illogical, captain.

Guest Flying Hippo

McCulloch was signed to play wide (left or right) and played in this position for the entirety of his first season, utterly horrendously from December to May. He was shunted because Walter, rightly or wrongly, adores the big fella and hates leaving him out. The centre back experiment was a fiasco. The holding midfielder one a success. He still has nothing like the talent of an on form Edu or Thomson

That's like saying if Davis had put in the same displays and we hadn't won the league twice, he wouldn't have won POTY this season.

No, it's nothing like it actually because Davis won the award and Lee wasn't even in the running for it.

Roughly put, I think your point is illogical, captain.

Likewise Sir. :D

A seasoned Scotland international with plenty of Premiership experience cost too much at �£2.25M?

I remember when we originally offered Wigan �£700 - Paul Jewell became a figure of hate because he laughed at our offer as insulting and dirisory. But ironically we did all agree the bid we'd made was rather poor.

�£700 would have been a steal indeed ;).

For me he was too expensive, wasn't keen on him when he was playing for Scotland

Also to your other point I deleted, he won't be shunted otherwise we will have about 12 players who are seasoned pros. Unless of course a new manager comes in and doesn't want him, still can't see him moving to Germany when he wanted to come back to Scotland.

Also to your other point I deleted, he won't be shunted otherwise we will have about 12 players who are seasoned pros. Unless of course a new manager comes in and doesn't want him, still can't see him moving to Germany when he wanted to come back to Scotland.

Have to agree. He's not likely to want to move away from a team who are champions & playing in the CL. He's also not likely to get an offer from a club that would tempt away from Rangers unless he's only interested in improving his salary.

No, it's nothing like it actually because Davis won the award and Lee wasn't even in the running for it.

Missed my point completely.

Likewise Sir. :D

I don't think we understand each other at all here...