The future for Rangers and Scottish football.

It would appear that rules of footballing bodies will always be subject to the greater laws of elected governments, be they European or indigenous.

But since when does a governing body of a sport change it's rules to suit one Federation , and as the last article shows the French are 100 % behind this , UEFA has also signed up to it , however I cant find my link to the story

Why 6+5 does add up(FIFA World) Friday 8 May 2009

FIFA is planning to move ahead with the phasing in of the 6+5 rule after receiving a massive boost in March from the Institute for European Affairs (INEA), which presented a 191-page expert report concluding that the proposal "can be implemented in line with European Community law".

Following the publication of the report, the FIFA Congress will now be asked at its June meeting in Nassau to approve a timeframe for implementing the rule, which will oblige clubs to field at least six players in their starting line-up who are eligible for the national team where their clubs are based.

The proposal already received initial support from FIFA's member associations at last year's Congress in Sydney, where the members asked the FIFA and UEFA Presidents "to continue to explore ... all possible means within the limits of the law to ensure these crucial sporting objectives be achieved".

While the phrase "within the limits of the law" was leapt upon by critics of 6+5 to suggest that the rule was in conflict with existing European legislation on the free movement of workers within the European Community (EC), the INEA report found little or no evidence of incompatibility.

Examining the extent to which the EC article governing the free movement of workers can be applied to 6+5, the study considered it "questionable whether the requirements of Community law apply at all ... because it is a rule of the game that is purely motivated by the needs of the sport".

The report pointed out that 6+5 would place limits only on the use of players in starting line-ups and not on the overall composition of squads, meaning that there will be no restrictions on the number of "foreign" players that a club can sign.

Legal ground

As a result the experts suggested that the "core of the right to freedom of movement will not be affected by the '6+5 rule'". Having themselves concluded that 6+5 would not impinge on the freedom of movement of workers, the study's authors then argued that even if this conclusion was challenged the rule would still be justified in terms of European law due to its underlying purpose.

Since the wording of 6+5 is based on a player's national team eligibility rather than his nationality per se, the report found that the rule would constitute at the most "an indirect or concealed discrimination ... which can be justified ... if there are compelling reasons in the general interest". These compelling reasons could be found, the study argued, in the "legitimate objectives" of the 6+5 rule, including "improving competition in sport", "promotion of junior players" and "protection of the national identity of football and the national teams".

The INEA study also echoed previous research, including a 2004 study by the independent British research body Sports Nexus and a 2005 World Bank report, both of which uncovered statistical evidence for what many fans had already suspected: that the world's top leagues were becoming less and less competitive. Since the tendency of Europe's top clubs to "hoard" the world's best players is seen as one of the main factors in this decline, the INEA study concluded that 6+5 was also compatible with EC competition and antitrust law provisions. Indeed it suggested that 6+5 will in fact increase sporting competitiveness by "striving to prevent the formation of overly strong teams."

Edited by rbr

P�¡l Schmitt '6+5 ambassador' to the European Parliament(FIFA.com) Wednesday 21 October 2009

During the Conference on the Specificity and Autonomy of Sport, which took place at the Hungarian Parliament today, 21 October 2009, the European Parliament Vice-President, P�¡l Schmitt (Hungary), and the FIFA President, Joseph S. Blatter, met to discuss the situation of sport within the European Union and possible common steps to protect the values of sport in general and football in particular.

Messrs Schmitt and Blatter, both IOC members, concurred on the urgency to recognise and respect the specific characteristics of sport in Europe in line with Article 165 of the Lisbon Treaty and on the basis of the document presented in 2008 to the European authorities by the Olympic and Sport Movement under the title of 'Position of the Olympic and Sports Movement on the Specificity and Autonomy of Sport'.

Moreover, Mr Schmitt, who fully supports the FIFA-proposed 6+5 rule, accepted the role of '6+5 ambassador' to the European Parliament in order to promote and defend this rule intended to protect national teams, the training of young players, training clubs as well as the national identity of football clubs.

Messrs Blatter and Schmitt defined an action plan to be implemented in coordination with the programme of the next three rotating presidencies of the European Union - Spain and Belgium in 2010, and Hungary during the first semester of 2011.

At the conference, also attended by IOC Executive Board member and IIHF President Ren�© Fasel, FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter made the following suggestions: the number '6' - which corresponds to the minimum number of players that a club must select at the start of a match in a club competition who must be eligible to play for the national team of the association in which the club plays - would include players, irrespective of their nationality, who have been registered for clubs belonging to the association in which the club plays on a continuous basis since the age of 12 or earlier. It would also include players, irrespective of their nationality, who have played professional football for clubs belonging to the association in which the club plays on a continuous basis for five years since the age of 18.

Quotes

Prime Minister of Hungary Gordon Bajnai: "I do support the specificity and the autonomy of sport. I and the Hungarian government wish to congratulate FIFA on its initiatives towards the protection of national teams."

European Parliament Vice-President P�¡l Schmitt: "I look forward to the entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty, which represents historic recognition for sport and its specific nature and autonomy. It is my personal conviction that sport is part of national identity and culture, and the '6+5' rule is a symbol for all team sports and gives an opportunity to young talents to take part in the highest level of competition. I expect that besides football, other team sports will also support this initiative since local stars in the line-up make sport more popular and attractive, therefore it draws young people back to the grounds."

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter: "I'm particularly pleased that such a high-level and diversified group of participants at the conference called for a recognition of the specificity and the autonomy of sport. We are not alone in sharing these views, which speak for themselves. The '6+5' rule which FIFA defends is nothing but a fair rule to maintain the integrity, the balance and the uncertainty of competitions. These values are crucial to football."

Yes I know but the articles that I posted above were from last year and not from some no mark , the EU has fully endorsed the 6+5 rule , citing the treaty of Lisbon as actually recognising the AUTONOMY of SPORT , now it's only a matter of time , also note that no individual club nor association can take legal action against UEFA as it is against their stautes , very smart UEFA when needs be .

Yes I know but the articles that I posted above were from last year and not from some no mark , the EU has fully endorsed the 6+5 rule , citing the treaty of Lisbon as actually recognising the AUTONOMY of SPORT , now it's only a matter of time , also note that no individual club nor association can take legal action against UEFA as it is against their stautes , very smart UEFA when needs be .

We will have to agree to differ, the amount of construction workers in particular, sitting at home in the UK due to EU freedom of movement of cheap labour, tells me that Uefa is pissin in the wind. The EU statutes will not be changed to make football or any sport a special case, they like all of us will just have to suck it up and toe the line.

I would hardly call the chair of the Euro Parliament body responsible for football a no mark, even if he is English and a referee.

We will have to agree to differ, the amount of construction workers in particular, sitting at home in the UK due to EU freedom of movement of cheap labour, tells me that Uefa is pissin in the wind. The EU statutes will not be changed to make football or any sport a special case, they like all of us will just have to suck it up and toe the line.

I would hardly call the chair of the Euro Parliament body responsible for football a no mark, even if he is English and a referee.

Wabash you are quoting from an article that was written before the treaty of Lisbon was ratified , further to that if you read through the two articles you will see that , one is the European Vice President , and the other was the French Secratery of State .This is strictly about sport and doesn't affect construction workers , bank workers or any other type of employement , only sport.

Also the Institute of European Affairs (INEA) is not some random secret society but is made up of some of the most prominent business in Europe , which also gets direct funding from the EU , and as a body something that the EU listens to very closely and has used on many different occasions .

This will happen .

Wabash you are quoting from an article that was written before the treaty of Lisbon was ratified , further to that if you read through the two articles you will see that , one is the European Vice President , and the other was the French Secratery of State .This is strictly about sport and doesn't affect construction workers , bank workers or any other type of employement , only sport.

Also the Institute of European Affairs (INEA) is not some random secret society but is made up of some of the most prominent business in Europe , which also gets direct funding from the EU , and as a body something that the EU listens to very closely and has used on many different occasions .

This will happen .

Exactly the point why it wont happen, sport is no different to any other business and will not be treated as such, nothing to do with Lisbon, only Euro employment law, the last time I looked the law was and is the law, anything else is opinion,,,,even the French secretaries opinion is only that.

http://ec.europa.eu/sport/white-paper/whitepaper108_en.htm#4_2

Edited by wabashcannonball

Exactly the point why it wont happen, sport is no different to any other business and will not be treated as such, nothing to do with Lisbon, only Euro employment law, the last time I looked the law was and is the law, anything else is opinion,,,,even the French secretaries opinion is only that.

http://ec.europa.eu/sport/white-paper/whitepaper108_en.htm#4_2

Why are you using articles that are over a year out of date , you state the law is the law European Parliament , yet there is clearly a difference with your opinion amongst senior EU politicians:

Vice-President P�¡l Schmitt: "I look forward to the entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty, which represents historic recognition for sport and its specific nature and autonomy. It is my personal conviction that sport is part of national identity and culture, and the '6+5' rule is a symbol for all team sports and gives an opportunity to young talents to take part in the highest level of competition. I expect that besides football, other team sports will also support this initiative since local stars in the line-up make sport more popular and attractive, therefore it draws young people back to the grounds."

FIFA is planning to move ahead with the phasing in of the 6+5 rule after receiving a massive boost in March from the Institute for European Affairs (INEA), which presented a 191-page expert report concluding that the proposal "can be implemented in line with European Community law".

Next time try reading the posts before commenting on them .

Why are you using articles that are over a year out of date , you state the law is the law European Parliament , yet there is clearly a difference with your opinion amongst senior EU politicians:

Vice-President P�¡l Schmitt: "I look forward to the entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty, which represents historic recognition for sport and its specific nature and autonomy. It is my personal conviction that sport is part of national identity and culture, and the '6+5' rule is a symbol for all team sports and gives an opportunity to young talents to take part in the highest level of competition. I expect that besides football, other team sports will also support this initiative since local stars in the line-up make sport more popular and attractive, therefore it draws young people back to the grounds."

Next time try reading the posts before commenting on them .

Until the law is changed even "SENIOR" politicians opinions are still only opinions and the law is the law.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4]YouTube- The Clash - I Fought The Law[/ame]