Do we really want Smith to stay?

I say the same every time this debate rears it's head against the background of our current circumstances. Would those of you who want rid of Walter PLEASE throw some realistic names into the ring so we can all laugh at them. Dick Campbell anyone? Come on folks, we're extremely lucky to have Walter. This season's achievements have only strengthened that belief for me. Walter is the only man I would want in charge of my club at the present time. Like Craig says, he's the master of the SPL and that's what we need right now.

As far as Europe is concerned (no CL if not for Walter BTW) I'm just trying to remember who has given me the greatest European night of my life.......oh wait I've just remembered. And no it wisny wee Dick "almost" beating Munchen.

Edited by Cotter

I take my kid who is seven and the highlight of the game is half time when he gets a hot dog. after that he wants to go home. Why? well what is in front of him isnt really worth watching. Hes told me that himself.

And if the kids dont want to watch Rangers well have no support in the future.

That is a real concern for me.

I find this a strange point. I think you'd find it hard to find a kid at 7 years old who will happily sit through a 90 minute live football game - no matter how good the football. They just don't have the interest level or attention span. However, kids do it and can be really into it when they look to their father and see him highly involved, excited and enjoying it.

When a father is sitting there thinking he's watching rubbish and wasting his time and money, there is not much chance his kid will be enjoying it.

To be honest, I would be surprised if a repeated exposure to a negative parental attitude at a tender age, didn't have a good chance of turning a kid off football for life.

7 year old boys look up to their fathers, if the father hates it and finds it boring, there is a pretty good chance he will too.

I say the same every time this debate rears it's head against the background of our current circumstances. Would those of you who want rid of Walter PLEASE throw some realistic names into the ring so we can all laugh at them. Dick Campbell anyone? Come on folks, we're extremely lucky to have Walter. This season's achievements have only strengthened that belief for me. Walter is the only man I would want in charge of my club at the present time. Like Craig says, he's the master of the SPL and that's what we need right now.

As far as Europe is concerned (no CL if not for Walter BTW) I'm just trying to remember who has given me the greatest European night of my life.......oh wait I've just remembered. And no it wisny wee Dick "almost" beating Munchen.

Greatest European night of my life...

I have 2 instances: Walter Smith 'nearly' getting us to the CL final in '93 - the final match V CSKA ended in disappointment but the expectation and hope was absolutely amazing.

The other was Eck getting us to the last 16 in the CL - first Scottish club to do it - that was just sensational.

I must also make a mention of Lovenkrands' goal in Villarreal - for about 45 glorious minutes we were in the quarter finals till Arruabarena spoiled the party.

Greatest European night of my life...

I have 2 instances: Walter Smith 'nearly' getting us to the CL final in '93 - the final match V CSKA ended in disappointment but the expectation and hope was absolutely amazing.

The other was Eck getting us to the last 16 in the CL - first Scottish club to do it - that was just sensational.

I must also make a mention of Lovenkrands' goal in Villarreal - for about 45 glorious minutes we were in the quarter finals till Arruabarena spoiled the party.

Good memories indeed mate. I was in tears not long after wee Nacho slotted that pen against Fiorentina.:)

And what about year after year of embarrassment :confused:

Our situation dictates we must be there, embarrassment or not. Unfortunatley this fanciful idea of years of wilderness while we devise a master plan for the future will not somehow through some unexplained magical path lead us to great glory, but may in fact see the club go to the wall.

I've said it a million times over the years but the "PLG style" vision for Rangers is akin to the masterplan of the underpants gnomes from South Park:

gnomes_plan.png

With Rangers it would be; phase 1 - become shit (even domestically), phase 2 - ???, phase 3 world domination (on the football scene).

At least he has managed to get us to the "dance".

Remember, we "tried something new" with PLG... had Walter not come back in we were in real danger of finishing 3rd... or worse.

Just as there is no guarantee that things would be worse under a new manager there is no guarantee they would be better. And right now our financial stability (if we even have such a thing...) depends on continued European qualification. With Walter we KNOW we will get that. Anyone else and it is a shot in the dark.

It is like playing baseball - you could attempt a "home run" and perhaps get it but ifd you dont you are "out". In terms of Rangers for "home run" read competing (somewhat) on the European stage and for "out" read financial oblivion.

Right now we need Rangers to be having base hits rather than home runs. It is all about risk and reward. If we risk another manager we could have the reward of being slightly more competitive in Europe - however the risk is far greater IMO. The risk is that the new manager is a failure both domestically and in Europe - and that would absolutely cripple us.

Just now isn't the best time to 'try something new' but when when/if we are financially secure again we should try it. Just because PLG didn't work doesn't mean the next foreign manager won't work. Foreign managers are light years ahead of UK managers.

Just now isn't the best time to 'try something new' but when when/if we are financially secure again we should try it. Just because PLG didn't work doesn't mean the next foreign manager won't work. Foreign managers are light years ahead of UK managers.

But that is a different situation to the one you made in your OP.

I dont think too many of us would disagree with you that "when/if we are financialy stable" we should go a new route. I think most of us would be for that course of action (although I still believe Walter deserves another crack at the CL for what he has achieved this season - and, in fact, since he returned 3 yrs ago).

I was a supporter of PLG, most definitely. Didn't work out. I wouldn't be averse with going back the foreign route though. I simply want the best man for the job. With our resources and need to win domestically, that currently is still Walter Smith.

Bit with financial stability secured I would happily watch Walter glide off into retirement with best wishes whilst a respected manager (Foriegn OR British) took the helm.