Do we really want Smith to stay?

Half decent football doesnt guarantee you winning anything though.

It is a results-driven business and given even the most ardent optimist in out support would agree that winning the CL is nigh on impossible for us.

So winning 6 trophies in 2 and a half years, plus a UEFA final, another domestic final and losing the league due to fixture congestion, would suggest to me at least that Smith knows how to win domestically - and that is where our bread and butter is.

Just how is ANY new manager going to come in and do better than that ? With limited, sorry NO, resources ? With a deflated 1st team squad ?

Broadfoot, Boyd, Novo, Beasley, Steve Smith are all out of contract as is Davie Weir. And it is also possibly/likely that Bougherra will be sold as may McGregor (and who knows how many others). And there is NO commitment whatsoever to reinvest any funds from those 2 sales.

So the 11 players plus a few kids is actually not that far from being a very real possibility.

Guest Flying Hippo

I remember Totti from FF and he is one of the young-ish breed of supporter who continually go on about how exciting, attacking football is more important then results and they'd happily accept 2 or 3 years of mid table finishes for the 'greater good'

Club sources have basically said that had we not won the title at Tannadice last season, we would've begun this season in administration. We haven't signed a player in 2 years. The idea that this is the right time to start rebuilding and taking a shot in the dark is ridiculous.

Not long ago we were being embarrassed by teams like Unirea in Europe and the general consent was that we wanted shot of Walter but we were so skint that we may as well just keep him.

Now a couple of trophies later he's God again.

My opinion of Walter is exactly what it was a few months ago. He's a reliable, solid albeit old fashioned manager, good domestically but out of his depth in Europe.

He came back to steady the ship and there's been several periods where it as been steadied only for us to go on a dodgy spell again.

Walter has done everything he can do with the club and it's time to move on IMO. We need new ideas and I'd like to see us as a side that can play decent football and cause some problems to big teams in Europe. It doesn't take a fortune to build a half decent European side rather than one that just hopes for a 0-0 draw.

Everyone is saying that this season is a fantastic achievement but Celtic are so abysmal that it would have been hard not to win it. It's the worst Celtic side I've ever seen by a mile.

Time to move on and develop.

couldnt agree more with everything you said totti. Smith is never going to take us any further than he has up till now. Great servant to the club but its the future that matters, not memories. we need new ideas in the managerial seat if the club is to go forward on the park.

What manager's going to come to a club flirting with administration? We're lucky to have WS, even though he's not perfect. I've honestly no idea why people would want to swap success for a delusion of total football.

I remember Totti from FF and he is one of the young-ish breed of supporter who continually go on about how exciting, attacking football is more important then results and they'd happily accept 2 or 3 years of mid table finishes for the 'greater good'

Club sources have basically said that had we not won the title at Tannadice last season, we would've begun this season in administration. We haven't signed a player in 2 years. The idea that this is the right time to start rebuilding and taking a shot in the dark is ridiculous.

stop ranting on about smith not signing players in two years. he signed sixteen bloody players since he came back so its hardly bloddy hardship is it. Smiths brand of football isnt worth watching to be honest and he makes no appologies for it. And if its not worth watching its not worth playing. there seems to be this myth that you cant play well and win it eiher has to be one of the other. Well l beg to differ and would like a manager who thinks likewise. It isnt a crime attempt it.

stop ranting on about smith not signing players in two years. he signed sixteen bloody players since he came back so its hardly bloddy hardship is it. Smiths brand of football isnt worth watching to be honest and he makes no appologies for it. And if its not worth watching its not worth playing. there seems to be this myth that you cant play well and win it eiher has to be one of the other. Well l beg to differ and would like a manager who thinks likewise. It isnt a crime attempt it.

Tony Mowbray thinks you can win and play football. I hear he's out of a job :D

I've enjoyed many games this season - both with some superb football and with some not to fluent stuff.

David Weir is a fantastic player to watch - calm, composed, reads the game well and his positioning second to none. However, he's a defender and has little flair.

Dos that mean he's not worth watching?

I'd suggest we do given how rotten the rest of the SPL currently is.

As some have already asked who would you suggest could take over and why do you think they would be more successful than Walter especially under our current circumstances :confused:

PLG was very highly rated when he came to us but he set us back after hardly anytime in the job and wasted a lot of money on some duds.

Would you just keep going until we found someone who plays the football you seem to want (or dream about) and also brings trophies and do well in Europe? There is no guarantee it would ever happen?

I doubt we could afford to do that anyway (pay offs for every sacking) or bring in a big name to start with giving our finances just now.

I for one wouldn't want to go down the road of getting rid of a manager again if it didn't work for after 6 months, it sets you back further.

We all want to play good attractive football but it's trophies that count.