Do we really want Smith to stay?

Not long ago we were being embarrassed by teams like Unirea in Europe and the general consent was that we wanted shot of Walter but we were so skint that we may as well just keep him.

Now a couple of trophies later he's God again.

My opinion of Walter is exactly what it was a few months ago. He's a reliable, solid albeit old fashioned manager, good domestically but out of his depth in Europe.

He came back to steady the ship and there's been several periods where it as been steadied only for us to go on a dodgy spell again.

Walter has done everything he can do with the club and it's time to move on IMO. We need new ideas and I'd like to see us as a side that can play decent football and cause some problems to big teams in Europe. It doesn't take a fortune to build a half decent European side rather than one that just hopes for a 0-0 draw.

Everyone is saying that this season is a fantastic achievement but Celtic are so abysmal that it would have been hard not to win it. It's the worst Celtic side I've ever seen by a mile.

Time to move on and develop.

Guest Flying Hippo

If he goes, he will be replaced by McCoist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally deluded imo. Ally may be a disciple of Walter but i'd rather keep the real thing for 2 or 3 years. We do not have the money to 'rebuild' or plan some great future master plan. If we stave off administration we'll be doing well.

In an ideal world, yes it would be good to move for a manager capable of improving the brand of football and bringing true European pedigree.

However, we're not in an ideal world, so we need to maintain domestic success and look to be competitive in Europe by playing to our strengths. The UEFA Cup run of 3 years ago suggests Smith is capable of it - albeit not as regularly as we'd like - so hopefully he, like everyone else at the club, will be looking to improve that record if he stays.

Who would you suggest as a realistic alternative?

Unless things change drastically, I can't think of another manager I'd rather have in charge at the moment. We need to continue to win the SPL and there's no-one who knows how to do that better than Smith imo.

To be fair to Smith ( and I was one of his main dteractors ) you or I have no idea how difficult it must have been behind the scenes at the club around september / october time , the way he has handled himself and IMHO looked after our interests has been amazing and I feel incredibly fortunate to have him at the helm .

You said it was time to move on and develop , with what exactly , in a few weeks we will have 11 senior players plus a few kids , not exactly much left to work with so I would much rather have someone who has been over the course a few times

End of the day, we'd be much further up shit creek if it wasn't for Walter coming back. Of course if we could have a Jose then awesome. For now we have the best guy we could possibly have, the Godfather, Sir Walter:-)

Such negative thinking but I guess that's what we've fallen to. I'm sure there's loads of decent young managers across Europe that would love a shot at a fairly big club playing in the champions league most seasons. And if it doesn't work (a la Le Guen), try someone else.

We aren't going to progress under Walter.

Such negative thinking but I guess that's what we've fallen to. I'm sure there's loads of decent young managers across Europe that would love a shot at a fairly big club playing in the champions league most seasons. And if it doesn't work (a la Le Guen), try someone else.

Totti you still haven't addressed the prevalint points , in 6 weeks we will have a squad of 11 senior players and a few kids , are you seriously suggesting we put our faith in some young untrained european manager , and if that fails where exactly do we go from there , nagative thinking sorry mate your in dreamland

We don't have the luxury of trial and error...