I've no idea - I just assume that the CL income money will be a deal-breaker. After all a price may well have been agreed before now.

Like you I'd hope a potential buyer would be able to change his strategy depending on certain issues but we are talking about a lot of money which would affect any of us. Would you buy a new car before you had a wage-rise confirmed?

This was brought up months ago and people reckoned CL money would have no bearing on the deal, but all of a sudden it seems to be the big issue.

Surely with recent CL figures available, any bid would easily be able to include two offers, one based on CL involvement and one without. I'm just going on the basis that no news is good news at the moment.

Mike.

Surely with recent CL figures available, any bid would easily be able to include two offers, one based on CL involvement and one without.

I'd have thought so but that is only guesswork.

For example saying you may be prepared to pay a higher price, leaves you open to the seller upping it for any small reason.

Its all just one big game of poker/chess at the moment. We've been looking favourites for the league for a while now, so maybe Lloyds haven't been keen to settle with anyone before it was confirmed, due to the potential CL cash? Its a lot of guaranteed income so is only going to push the price up I guess no matter which side of the table you're on.

Like you I'd hope a potential buyer would be able to change his strategy depending on certain issues but we are talking about a lot of money which would affect any of us. Would you buy a new car before you had a wage-rise confirmed?

If any potential buyer is in the position of "needing a pay rise to buy a new car" then is that really the type of owner we should be looking for ?

That scenario would fill me with dread as it would look, externally at least, that someone has the finances to buy the club but no additional cash aside.

Qualification to the CL and the associated �£17m income that goes with it must have an impact on the deal.

The sellers are presumably not going to reduce their price by �£17m if we don't qualify and the buyers are not going to want to pay the same amount for the club without the CL income.

Seems to me that it would have been prudent to buy the club on the cheap in January and reap the benefits of the CL money now.

The strange aspect is that we don't really want a buyer using the CL money for his own gain.

I don't quite get it. Say the price is 35M without CL and 45M with CL - then the buyer will need to pocket the 10M from the CL to break even with respect to the without CL deal.

I'm only a layman but it seems to me, in a non-profit organisation, the price should be the price. Any CL money should be used to shore up the finances of the club.

It's all getting a bit confusing.

Smith I think is being very cute here. I can't believe he gets fed very little information from the powers that be. Seems to me like he is drawing attention to the uncertainty that surrounds his and the club's future. As for the mechanics of any deal, I'm torn between ascender's "no news is good news" and calscot's pessimism over the apparent lack of leadership from those making the alleged bid(s).

I didn't really have an opinion on who I want to win tonight, but seeing this I'm rooting for the Germans. :rfc:

Yes. We do not want Lyon winning the CL. Their elimination is paramount.