Rangers' Walter Smith and David Weir have been voted the SPL's Manager and Player of the Season.

More...

Rangers boss Walter Smith and captain David Weir have been voted the Scottish Premier League's Manager and Player of the Season.

Smith landed the award after taking the Scottish champions to within touching distance of a second successive title, which could be confirmed this weekend with a win at Hibernian or if Celtic lose to Dundee United earlier in the day.

Weir could also be celebrating in May after being shortlisted, along with team-mates Kris Boyd, Steven Davis and Andy Webster - on loan at United this season - for the PFA Scotland Player of the Year.

Smith, though, believes that the Player of the Season accolade could have gone to any member of the dressing room at Ibrox.

He said: "It has been a real team effort, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

"We have a situation where we have a great number of players in our team who have played exceptionally well.

Important

"We have a small group of players so we have had to rely on a lot of them to do well over the season. They have managed to do that for us and we are delighted that has been the case."

Weir has played every minute of each SPL game so far this season, but he will not begin to contemplate his own or his club's achievements until Rangers have secured the silverware.

"The team is always the most important thing and we have not actually won anything yet," the Scotland defender said.

"Although it's nice to get this award, hopefully the big award is still to come.

"I'm happy that we're top of the league and I have played the majority of the games. That's how I judge myself.

"I can do better and there are things I'm not happy with but ultimately you are judged on how you do in the league."

:cool:

Edited by Frankie

Congrats to both but I must be the only Rangers fan unimpressed overall by Weir this year.

Not just Rangers fans who have been impressed with him going by this award either...

The guy has strolled through most games aided by a superb positional sense and a reading of the game that compensates for the flaws he does have.

Game after game he puts in solid displays and while he may not be immediately obvious as a Bougherra, Davis or Miller in terms of match-changing contributions, overall his performances have been of a consistent high quality - not just for this season but since he joined the club.

Add in his effect in helping develop less experienced defenders alongside then his contribution should never be under-estimated.

Not just Rangers fans who have been impressed with him going by this award either...

The guy has strolled through most games aided by a superb positional sense and a reading of the game that compensates for the flaws he does have.

Game after game he puts in solid displays and while he may not be immediately obvious as a Bougherra, Davis or Miller in terms of match-changing contributions, overall his performances have been of a consistent high quality - not just for this season but since he joined the club.

Add in his effect in helping develop less experienced defenders alongside then his contribution should never be under-estimated.

tbh you're probably the biggest Weir fan on here :P

I'm not denying the influence he has on the team, and his positional sense and maturity at the back (in general), I just feel the flaws he does have are as significant as his strengths.

There's also the point of just how long can he keep going? He surely isn't the future.

I'm honestly no bigger or less a fan of Weir than anyone else - I just appreciate watching good football when I see it and in the absence of excitement at Ibrox nowadays, I tend to keep a close eye on how Weir plays and he really is interesting to watch off the ball.

Neither do I think he's the future but if he can be as good as he has done this season (and before) then I see no reason why he shouldn't stay at the club. It's not as if he'll lose any pace as he's never had any for over ten years!

His reliable appearance record alone and incredible fitness lend weight to another year's contract.