Guest Flying Hippo

Can you imagine having a month of fixtures like

Partick (home)

Ross County (away)

Falkirk (home)

Raith (away)

I think they tried the 16 team league in Northern Ireland and scrapped it after just two years because there was too many awful teams in it, even for that country!

Amazing that ever since Murray departed Bain has at long last grown a set of baws and has at long last started speaking out , plus I loved the " sporting integrity " comment

I absolutely hate it. I don't want us copying the tims.

Guest BillyMac

I personally hope that we give this 12 team league the bullet playing the same team 4 times and sometimes 5 or 6 in a season can and does get quite boring the split is just a joke and if we lose a few teams along the way so be it

We currently have 12 teams and therefore 38 games, due to the split.

ICT, Dundee, Ross County, Dunfermline and, possibly QoS & Thistle would at least be competitive in the lower reaches of the SPL and, for the most part, would not get walked over by the better teams either.

If we added them to the SPL we would have 18 teams and 34 games (home and away once each). You could even discount a couple of those teams and have 16 teams (30 games) which could still work.

I'd be delighted if they went for the 18 team league. 18 teams in a countries' top league is the most common number in European football IIRC. I also think that some of those 1st division teams you mention are better clubs than some of those we currently have in the SPL. Take Dundee for example; they have a bigger & better support than a few of the teams in the SPL. I certainly don't buy into the concept that these teams are dross and would lower the standard of our league.

The only problem that stands in the way of this happening is that one or two of the stadiums aren't up to SPL regs, but that no doubt wouldn't be a big problem.

I'd be delighted if they went for the 18 team league. 18 teams in a countries' top league is the most common number in European football IIRC. I also think that some of those 1st division teams you mention are better clubs than some of those we currently have in the SPL. Take Dundee for example; they have a bigger & better support than a few of the teams in the SPL. I certainly don't buy into the concept that these teams are dross and would lower the standard of our league.

The only problem that stands in the way of this happening is that one or two of the stadiums aren't up to SPL regs, but that no doubt wouldn't be a big problem.

Agree wholeheartedly, 18 is my preferred number too, 34 league games is about ideal. I hope the pompous nonsense about stadiums that prevented Falkirk gaining promotion in the past would be used exclude any team. Too many who spent way over their budgets on new stadia now play to a fraction of capacity. Anyway, regardless of the teams involved, we need to get away from this business of playing teams four times a season - and we certainly need to do away with this end of season lottery that leads to three away games against the same team. The Swiss thried for ages to make the same system work and damn nearly caused civil unrest before they finally did away with it.

I absolutely hate it. I don't want us copying the tims.

Each to their own mate , but we cant have it both ways , the club get's slaughtered for not standing up for themselves and some have a dig when they do , plus we have been putting it into them when they were down for years , in fact it was the one thing Murray was brilliant at .

There's definitely a handful of teams in the first division who'd be competitive in the SPL, although I guess a few of the current teams might not be in favour of more competition given how poor they are at the moment.

The SPL regs are a joke anyway, we've all seen they'll make exceptions when they feel like it and there's still games called off despite the requirement for undersoil heating for example.

Each to their own mate , but we cant have it both ways , the club get's slaughtered for not standing up for themselves and some have a dig when they do , plus we have been putting it into them when they were down for years , in fact it was the one thing Murray was brilliant at .

I have no problem with us defending ourselves, I just didn't want us to use the exact same line/patter as timmy, a comment we derided them for using 2 years ago.