How good is Messi, I laughed today when I heard that great full back Viv Anderson on the radio today saying, that he would have "cemented" him, as he did George Best. There was no malice or self promotion in his interview, which was incredibly funny, full of stories that made you laugh and realise how much Viv and his compatriots enjoyed the game and their luck at getting paid for it. He stopped short at calling todays players ballroom dancers, but the hint was there, it made me wonder, as he said his job was to prevent the superstars from being superstars, and how most times everything ended up with a handshake and a drink after the game. I wonder how the Messi's of the present day would fair against the hardmen defenders such as Shearer, Caldow, Provan, Harold Davies, McGrain, Hunter, Stiles, Tommy Smith, Martin Buchan the list is endless. I think the proponents of the old style football would come out on top every time, though Besty, Worthington, McMillan, the two Johnstones, Marsh, Greaves, Willie Henderson and other "fitba players" could hold their own and ride the best or worst of tackles...and Dennis Law his name said it all...the Lawman...:)

Edited by wabashcannonball

Much as the players these days are too soft we wouldn't see some of the wonderful entertainment we do now from your Messi's and Ronaldo's if you could still "defend" (for defend read commit grievous bodily harm) like Chopper Harris etc.