When are the rules, not the rules?

Maybe it's just me, but from the highlights it actually looks like the offside is called because the linesman thought that Thomas had caught the ball and managed to flick it on to McCarthur, which would definitely have been a correct decision if Thomas had touched it. Either way, thankfully it was chalked off. :cool:

There is no doubt the linesman put up his flag for Thomas - no matter if he touched the ball or not. He tried to touch the ball and was active in the phase of play so was offside.

Ironically, the same linesman was poor throughout the match for both teams; this was probably the only decision he got right. The incident at the very end when he and the referee decided Weir wasn't fouled and gave a corner was quite incredible.

Maybe it's just me, but from the highlights it actually looks like the offside is called because the linesman thought that Thomas had caught the ball and managed to flick it on to McCarthur, which would definitely have been a correct decision if Thomas had touched it. Either way, thankfully it was chalked off. :cool:

Even with Thomas not touching it though, it was offside as he was involved in that passage of play.

There is no doubt the linesman put up his flag for Thomas - no matter if he touched the ball or not. He tried to touch the ball and was active in the phase of play so was offside.

Ironically, the same linesman was poor throughout the match for both teams; this was probably the only decision he got right. The incident at the very end when he and the referee decided Weir wasn't fouled and gave a corner was quite incredible.

Online Jock Broon was going on about how "the ref got that decision right because Weir played the ball out for a corner first". If it werent so potentially serious I would have pissed myself laughing. Weir was fouled whilst the ball was still in play - regardless of him playing it out for a corner, a foul occurred whilst the ball was still in play, therefore a free kick should have ensued.

You couldnt make it up.

Ball doesn't even need to be in play for a foul to be given IIRC.

For example, if a Rangers player was punched in the box while a corner was waiting to be taken, I think a penalty can be given. Sure this happened against Viktoria Zizkov in 2002/03 but the referee changed his mind and continued with the corner instead.

EDIT: The Bold Gibbons reports on the match at the time....

http://sport.scotsman.com/european-club/Rangers-throw-it-all-away.2366409.jp

Buryan followed that moment of glory by being sent off for a second yellow card in circumstances that were mystifying.

It is presumed that Buryan was cautioned a second time when the Greek referee, Athanassios Briakos, appeared to be awarding Rangers a penalty kick after Jiri Sabou was said to have taken an off-the-ball kick at Craig Moore. As Moore hit the turf, it was clear that the referee and his nearside assistant, like the majority in the stadium, had no idea what or who had caused his collapse.

Briakos consulted with his linesman and then moved towards the penalty spot, pointing significantly. This all occurred as Arteta waited out on the left to take a corner kick. After a period of jostling that led to the addition of four minutes’ stoppage time, the referee dismissed Buryan and ordered Arteta to take the corner.

It was learned afterwards that this was Briakos’s first European tie and he was the object of some after-match waspishness from Alex McLeish.

In truth, though, he was put in an impossible position and could hardly have handled it differently had it been his hundredth appearance at the highest level.

Edited by Frankie

I am sure that is correct Frankie. I am sure I have seen an instance of it before.

But the ball still being in play makes it an even more bizarre decision and, equally bizarre, that journalists dont know the rules of the game that pays their salary !

The journalists are just deliberately obtuse though to sell copy/attract listeners etc.

No idea why someone like Kenny Clark wouldn't back up the linesman though. Bizarre!

I've watched it over and over again and I'm almost certain that the linesman called McCarthur offside, not Thomas. The linesman's flag doesn't go up until after Thomas tries to head it/flick it and it drops to McCarthur miles offside in the 6 yard box. Thomas looked to be a fraction offside when the ball was chipped in, but the linesman didn't call it, he called McCarthur offside.

At the end of the day though, the goal was disallowed and that's that. We looked as if we deserved to win the game anyway despite some people saying we didn't. Sod 'em. It's 3 points that count, so they can stick that in their pipe and smoke it. :sherlock:

I've watched it over and over again and I'm almost certain that the linesman called McCarthur offside, not Thomas. The linesman's flag doesn't go up until after Thomas tries to head it/flick it and it drops to McCarthur miles offside in the 6 yard box. Thomas looked to be a fraction offside when the ball was chipped in, but the linesman didn't call it, he called McCarthur offside.

With the new ruling the linesman tend not to flag until a player deemed to be in (or have come from) an offside position attempts to play the ball. Hence that could be why the flag does not go up until he attempts to play it. Not seen it again to verify your version of events in any case, but if you are right my explanation could be why the flag goes up when it does.

Whether or not the linesman flagged the wrong player is irrelevant really anyway. All that matters is the right decision was made, however they got there.

At the end of the day though, the goal was disallowed and that's that. We looked as if we deserved to win the game anyway despite some people saying we didn't. Sod 'em. It's 3 points that count, so they can stick that in their pipe and smoke it. :sherlock:

With no disrespect Zappa it those two events were so close together in timing that there is no way of knowing that the linesman flagged for one or the other. The two players were so close together they could have been holding hands, which is all the more reason that Thomas was an active part of the passage of play.

So Mr McLeod is a contemporary of Richard 'I was brought up to hate Rangers' Gordon? ;)

The verbatim quote by big AmDram Queen, Rheinhart Gordon was thus, "I was raised to absolutely hate Rangers".

BBC Radio Scotland did a series of 30 minute auto-biographical shows on half-a-dozen of their long term Presenters several years past. Richard Gordon was comfortable informing the listenership of the football conditioning he received from his father. Now, imagine anyonelse had stated they were raised to absolutely hate ra Sellik, Dundee, Hearts, ......etc? There would be justifiable outrage.

When the series was repeated, that line was omitted.