Richard Gough - STV

I think that is generation cast. I would say Baxter and Tom Forsyth(as Favourite defender), I am sure my father would say Geordie young, Willie Woodburn Willie Waddle etc.

I will admit on not seeing a lot of Gough though as i lived in Holland in that period and i did not have the communication possibilities i do today. I was mostly trying to get a tranny to pick up a weak signal in those day's. I even sat out in the car on many European nights as the car radio seemed to have the best signal. The neighbours thought i was crazy.( Nothing changed there then.)

You should maybe speak to Gribz about that :devil:

The truth is that Baxter is a great legend but wasn't really a great Ranger, no matter how many people claim the opposite. On his day and when he could be bothered, he was sublime, as good a player as has ever graced the game, anywhere, any era. However, his stay was too brief and his time at the top of his game was really quite fleeting. What Baxter did do was play in a truly great Rangers team, the best I've seen in my time by a very wide margin, and in that company he could shine like the diamond he was. Greig, Caldow, Henderson and Brand could also have held a place in any team on the planet.

Greig stood above them all however and was rightly recognised as the Greatest Ever Ranger some years back. In the modern era, only Richard Gough stands beside Greig in stature. McCoist is probably in there somewhere too but while the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne were fabulous, a privilege to see, much like Baxter they don't enter the picture if we're talking about great Rangers men. In my opinion, it's about everything from skill to endurance, leadership and character, the whole commitment and contribution over time. Though very different people, Greig had it all and so did Gough. For me, these two stand above the rest.

I watched the show last night, and it was actually quite good. unsuprisingly, the number of old firm players was evenly balanced.

The biggest omission, in terms of SCOTLAND greats, was another ex-Ger, but that was not where he played his best or made his name:

Braveheart Colin Hendry.

The Scotland team I knew from the craig brown era which (despite mcleish and smiths best efforts) is the most successful in my lifetime, was epitomised by him.

every word about Gough above is true. Just surprised Hendry didn't make it into the top 10... but the names there are legends too. tough job!

Manager will be tough call, but goalkeeper? Surely its got to be Goram. Certainly won't be Haffey!!

The truth is that Baxter is a great legend but wasn't really a great Ranger, no matter how many people claim the opposite. On his day and when he could be bothered, he was sublime, as good a player as has ever graced the game, anywhere, any era. However, his stay was too brief and his time at the top of his game was really quite fleeting. What Baxter did do was play in a truly great Rangers team, the best I've seen in my time by a very wide margin, and in that company he could shine like the diamond he was. Greig, Caldow, Henderson and Brand could also have held a place in any team on the planet.

Greig stood above them all however and was rightly recognised as the Greatest Ever Ranger some years back. In the modern era, only Richard Gough stands beside Greig in stature. McCoist is probably in there somewhere too but while the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne were fabulous, a privilege to see, much like Baxter they don't enter the picture if we're talking about great Rangers men. In my opinion, it's about everything from skill to endurance, leadership and character, the whole commitment and contribution over time. Though very different people, Greig had it all and so did Gough. For me, these two stand above the rest.

Doesn't this post rather miss the point? It's not about the Greatest Rangers players, it's about the greatest Scotland players.

I'm not saying who does or does not deserve this accolade, just pointing out that being a legend for Rangers doesn't matter in this poll?

As such, anyone excluding Baxter from a greatest Scottish team is completely mad imo, because while he didn't win THAT many caps, the man was a genius and arguably the most talented Scottish player who ever played the game.

Doesn't this post rather miss the point? It's not about the Greatest Rangers players, it's about the greatest Scotland players.

I'm not saying who does or does not deserve this accolade, just pointing out that being a legend for Rangers doesn't matter in this poll?

As such, anyone excluding Baxter from a greatest Scottish team is completely mad imo, because while he didn't win THAT many caps, the man was a genius and arguably the most talented Scottish player who ever played the game.

I know mate, digressing on a football forum, what's the world coming to? Thanks for taking the trouble to keep me right. However........

Like so often happens, the Baxter myth has outgrown the reality. As I've already said, he could indeed do brilliant things but that isn't the same as being a genius, whatever that means. Davy Cooper could do brilliant things but he had some absolute stinkers as well, many of them in fact. Baxter was one of my boyhood heroes but I think we have a duty as we grow older to reassert the truth rather than just follow the herd.

One of the reasons I wouldn't place Baxter at the head of the queue is that he frequently displayed a petulance and selfishness that did little to help the team and in the end ruined his life. Greig and Gough and many others wore the club on their sleeves and made more enduring commitments to the club and that counts big for me.

But please, feel free to go back to the greatest Scotland players. In my fully biased world, the greatest Scotland players will be the greatest Rangers players.

I know mate, digressing on a football forum, what's the world coming to?

I seriously don't know, it's worrying isn't it?

Thanks for taking the trouble to keep me right.

Any time, it's a public service I provide :)

However........

Like so often happens, the Baxter myth has outgrown the reality. As I've already said, he could indeed do brilliant things but that isn't the same as being a genius, whatever that means. Davy Cooper could do brilliant things but he had some absolute stinkers as well, many of them in fact. Baxter was one of my boyhood heroes but I think we have a duty as we grow older to reassert the truth rather than just follow the herd.

Or what we believe our own version of the truth to be. For example, in my belief, Numan, while a great player for us, was somewhat overated and while one of the better left backs we've had, he was far from perfect. PLenty of mistimed challenges and bad positional sense.

My best example of not following the herd, as you appositely put it, is that I never bought into Ronald de Boer as an especially brilliant signing for us - he could have some great moments, but I recall a lot of negative press about his displays, and some harsh words from us supporters - and I remember plenty of mediocre displays. I recall one semi I went to at Hampden - CIS as it was then and we were against Hearts; he did score the winning goal, by crudely bundling it over the line, and otherwise had little effect on the match which was a bit of a minger.

And yet nowadays he's referred to glisteningly in the way you feel Baxter is.

One of the reasons I wouldn't place Baxter at the head of the queue is that he frequently displayed a petulance and selfishness that did little to help the team and in the end ruined his life. Greig and Gough and many others wore the club on their sleeves and made more enduring commitments to the club and that counts big for me.

But please, feel free to go back to the greatest Scotland players. In my fully biased world, the greatest Scotland players will be the greatest Rangers players.

So, by that reasoning, you also believe the greatest SPL players would likewise wear the blue shirt? There would be no place for Larsson?

I respect your candour on this issue m8, and I'm intrigued by your view.

I seriously don't know, it's worrying isn't it?

Any time, it's a public service I provide :)

Or what we believe our own version of the truth to be. For example, in my belief, Numan, while a great player for us, was somewhat overated and while one of the better left backs we've had, he was far from perfect. PLenty of mistimed challenges and bad positional sense.

My best example of not following the herd, as you appositely put it, is that I never bought into Ronald de Boer as an especially brilliant signing for us - he could have some great moments, but I recall a lot of negative press about his displays, and some harsh words from us supporters - and I remember plenty of mediocre displays. I recall one semi I went to at Hampden - CIS as it was then and we were against Hearts; he did score the winning goal, by crudely bundling it over the line, and otherwise had little effect on the match which was a bit of a minger.

And yet nowadays he's referred to glisteningly in the way you feel Baxter is.

So, by that reasoning, you also believe the greatest SPL players would likewise wear the blue shirt? There would be no place for Larsson?

I respect your candour on this issue m8, and I'm intrigued by your view.

This is bloody annoying - you've left almost nothing to argue with in anything above. :) Completely agree re Numan and De Boer. Numan was a fine player but, for me, wouldn't compare with Eric Caldow who was not only a far better player but spent 14 years at Ibrox and whose conduct on and off the park was everything I'd like to see from a Rangers player.

But don't misunderstand me, I've no wish to criticise Baxter, who was a truly exceptional talent, perhaps world class. I just don't think he stands with Greig or Gough when it comes to the magnitude of his contribution to the Rangers success - or to the national team, despite the repeated showing of the "keepie uppie" clip.

As for Larsson, remind me, who was he again. I seem to remember a profound ugliness and an endlessly droning voice, (fair mindedness doesn't stretch as far as anyone who wore that green and grey arse rag). I think you know exactly where I was coming from, no sellick player would ever get my nomination as a matter of principle. Unless it was a nomination for the Gulag XI.

BTW I was at that CIS semi final and my abiding memory is of a Hearts player (I think it was ex-sellick Stephan Mahe) being sent over the touchline at least seven feet in the air by a Ricksen tackle (or was it Craig Moore). I have absolutely no memory of the goal but I do clearly remember how cold it was that night.