So would you sign up for it?

I don't personally believe that a member based fan ownership model like the one being touted is the best thing for the future of Rangers FC, so no, I wouldn't sign up for it. IMHO, this is nothing more than a pipe dream and is not firmly based in the reality of Scottish football, the current financial climate and the finances/revenue in our game here in this country.

Hang on a minute. Forgive me guys but I'm half way round the world at the moment. Cal, is your OP hypothetical or are you quoting figures put forward by the RST?

edit : yes I would stump up the cash, I couldn't stop myself.

Both - hypothetical based on RST quotes. It's the principle I was asking about - and kind of putting RST to one side but welcome their part in the debate.

With the Labour party touting rules for British clubs to be at least 25% owned by the fans, it may be more than a pipe dream - well except they probably won't win the election. And after watching the chancellors debate, the idea of another Tory government sends shivers down my spine.

Ironically the Lib Dem guy seemed to be far more realistic and talk more sense - even the audience appreciated him far more than the others, but they have no chance of getting in.

Sorry, straying off topic but something has to be done in British football before it all goes tits up like the banks and if the UK government don't do something, I can see UEFA sticking their nose in as the EPL success in Europe due to huge debt is making a mockery of modern football.

For me, the German model of fan owned, debt free (operationally) clubs, is the way to go to preserve football for a healthy long-term future.

The banks have been a huge warning that has to be heeded before it's too late.

I must admit though, some small amount of schadenfreude in me would relish the bursting of the EPL bubble and subsequent implosion of English football.

The thing about Celtic is, as much as we like seeing them suffer, we need them to survive; in contrast the English game is slowly killing us.

I just answered Cal in another post as i didn't read this first. I would be willing to pay a monthly fee but the 600 pound up front would be a hurdle too high. I would hope my membership would give me access to Rangers tv and free or cheap access to live streaming of games.

Which supporters do you think would be in the group paying �£600 up front? Which supporters would be excluded? What would be the long-term effect of creating an inner circle from those who can afford this money and those who cannot?

Personally, I think the idea of 20,000 fans each paying �£600 up front is pure fantasy from people who have figured out how to use a calculator but haven't yet grasped that their basic plan is as flawed as the rest of their track record. The farce goes on but we all know the RST died long ago. Only the occasional newspaper mention brings its memory to mind!

Which supporters do you think would be in the group paying �£600 up front? Which supporters would be excluded? What would be the long-term effect of creating an inner circle from those who can afford this money and those who cannot?

Personally, I think the idea of 20,000 fans each paying �£600 up front is pure fantasy from people who have figured out how to use a calculator but haven't yet grasped that their basic plan is as flawed as the rest of their track record. The farce goes on but we all know the RST died long ago. Only the occasional newspaper mention brings its memory to mind!

As a lapsed RST member, I have to agree with this. As much as I may want both fan ownership and the RST to work, I think they are both flawed.

I, for one, would love to get involved in a fan ownership scheme but know that I just don't have the funds to spare at the moment and so would be one of the excluded suggested by MF. As much as there are some who can and will afford it, there will be many more who might struggle to justify renewing their season ticket, never mind finding additional membership fees which amount to more than what they are already paying just to go to the games.

As a lapsed RST member, I have to agree with this. As much as I may want both fan ownership and the RST to work, I think they are both flawed.

I, for one, would love to get involved in a fan ownership scheme but know that I just don't have the funds to spare at the moment and so would be one of the excluded suggested by MF. As much as there are some who can and will afford it, there will be many more who might struggle to justify renewing their season ticket, never mind finding additional membership fees which amount to more than what they are already paying just to go to the games.

Personally, I find it slightly insulting to be talking about Rangers fans forking out this kind of money at a time of high unemployment, job insecurity, rising taxation and the rest of today's economic woes. Many of the people who will be expected to fund this wee adventure have families and mortgages that need to come first. Already paying substantial amounts to support the club, what justifies asking the ordinary supporter to pay for this pipe dream?

Personally, I find it slightly insulting to be talking about Rangers fans forking out this kind of money at a time of high unemployment, job insecurity, rising taxation and the rest of today's economic woes. Many of the people who will be expected to fund this wee adventure have families and mortgages that need to come first. Already paying substantial amounts to support the club, what justifies asking the ordinary supporter to pay for this pipe dream?

What's the problem with asking them? Nobody is losing out if they don't take up the offer.