Mowbray had another dig...

Whose ridiculous assertion, the man's who went on to become Rangers chairman, you really should not take things literally, I know what he meant even if you don't.

No-one has a problem with the sentiment behind the original quote - it's your literal interpretation which no-one agrees with.

I don't think he meant that it is a disgrace to lose in a cup quarter-final replay, in the last minute, away to the third

team in the league.

I think that is something he would take on the chin - especially when eclipsed by a league and league cup double.

When he was at Hibs I thought Mowbray was a decent bloke but some of his outbursts aimed at Rangers these last few weeks have changed my mind. He's been coming across as just another bitter bheast tbh. First it was the referees then it was the Rangers style of football ..... when he needed to be talking about issues much nearer home.

Seems like he was twisted by the dark side...

Seems like he was twisted by the dark side...

Murdo thinks so too ......

MURDO MacLEOD couldn't believe his ears when Tony Mowbray's farewell message as Celtic boss was dedicated to running down Rangers in the middle of his own disaster against St Mirren.

The manager watched the clock tick down on his reign by attempting to camouflage his team's 13th defeat of the season while launching an unprovoked attack on the Ibrox side's style of play.

He said: "Rangers have been very consistent, they haven't lost four goals in any game. They set up differently. Maybe that's the way to go. Maybe it isn't a league for trying to force the game and be expansive. Maybe it's a league for playing negative, defensive football."

MacLeod helped Wim Jansen boss Celtic to the most important title win in the club's history,stopping Rangers 10-in-a-row bid in 1998.

And he understands there's a need for proper, professional respect between the two clubs.

The former Hoops midfielder said: "Celtic have gone from bad to worse and what happened against St Mirren was unacceptable.

"I couldn't believe what Tony said about Rangers, other than he was right about one thing. The sooner Celtic become more like Walter Smith's side, the better it will be for them.

"Rangers have scored more goals than Celtic, conceded fewer than them and have a better team by a long way than my old club.

"The Celtic fans want to hear about their team. They don't want to be embarrassed by someone going on about a team who are theoretically 16 points better off.

"Celtic had just lost four goals to a side who were second bottom of the league when the game kicked off in Paisley. That wasn't the time to run down your rivals.

"Tony had to look at his own performance. Was his way of motivating the players good enough? Was the way he set his team out to play good enough?

"Celtic have good players but they don't have a good team. The way they finished up against St Mirren was schoolboy stuff, everybody chasing around up front looking for a goal and nobody at the back giving any thought to defence.

"Saints were supposed to be the team in disarray after losing the League Cup Final to nine-man Rangers. It was team-work that got GusMacPherson's side through against Celtic - that's one quality Tony's team lacks.

"There's something missing and I wonder if they might get round to going down the Henrik Larsson route. It would be early in his coaching career but the club needs somebody who understands how they work."

The next managerial appointment Celtic make on a permanent basis will offer a clue to where the club's long term ambitions lie. Whoever that man is, MacLeod says his first task will be to address two major problems.

He added: "The fans have dropped off in large numbers. The team isn't attractive and lacks fight.

"Rangers have had no money to spend, can't buy players and yet they're romping away with the title. They don't lose easily while Celtic had a win rate of only 51 per cent under Mowbray.

"Rangers fight as a team and Celtic operate as individuals. Losing out on the Treble by going down to Dundee United in the Scottish Cup was a big disappointment for the Ibrox fans but a league and Co-op Cup double is still a fantastic achievement."

The last, damning indictment of Mowbray's reign for MacLeod is that he leaves behind a team with a questionable temperament. Celtic have Ross County in the Scottish Cup semi and even diehard fans don't believe there's any guarantee of victory.

MacLeod said: "The new manager has to restore a Scottish spine to the team. You can sell all the replica kits in the world to an Asian audience but you can't get foreign players to be what Rangers have been this season.

"Celtic have decent players but no team spirit. Rangers, meanwhile, are everything Celtic aren't - that's why they're successful

Something about the place? Or the fans? Or the media? Loads of excuses from him though and not much dignity.

I used to really enjoy Strachan as a pundit and his interviews as a manager, but I thought he turned in to a right miserable sob when managing Celtic.

I got quite annoyed at Strachan, as a former pundit he should have been able to empathise far more with the interviewers. He thought he was being funny but he was just being incredibly disrespectful.

I will only say that obviously you do not understand your own posts, you were quite definitive in your condemnation of John Lawrences quote, it was you who interpretated it to suit, not I. Personally I blame the schools and a lack of knowledge of Rangers FC's illustrious forebears and history, time and experience are great learners.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=198274&postcount=44

I will only say that obviously you do not understand your own posts, you were quite definitive in your condemnation of John Lawrences quote, it was you who interpretated it to suit, not I. Personally I blame the schools and a lack of knowledge of Rangers FC's illustrious forebears and history, time and experience are great learners.

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=198274&postcount=44

Couldn't agree more but, personally, I've been a supporter ever since the gallant pioneer David Murray founded Rangers.

Thanks for the Macleod article MF.

First time probably this season I've seen someone give Rangers due praise and also shoot down the myth Celtic play good attacking football.

The sooner Celtic become more like Walter Smith's side, the better it will be for them.

"Rangers have scored more goals than Celtic, conceded fewer than them and have a better team by a long way than my old club.

The way they finished up against St Mirren was schoolboy stuff, everybody chasing around up front looking for a goal and nobody at the back giving any thought to defence.

The fans have dropped off in large numbers. The team isn't attractive

Bang on the fucking money.

We might be pragmatic winners.

But they're no "glorious defeat playing sexy football team".

They're crap and dull.

It's all very well talking of footballing philosophy and the Brazil style you score 6 we'll score 7 but just having all your players upfront chasing the ball is not the same. It is, as he says, schoolboy football. And very young school boys at that. By the age of 12 or so players know a bit about playing your own position, being strong defensively etc. You can't just attack, attack, attack. As if Celtic do that anyway. :D

Thanks for the Macleod article MF.

First time probably this season I've seen someone give Rangers due praise and also shoot down the myth Celtic play good attacking football.

Bang on the fucking money.

We might be pragmatic winners.

But they're no "glorious defeat playing sexy football team".

They're crap and dull.

It's all very well talking of footballing philosophy and the Brazil style you score 6 we'll score 7 but just having all your players upfront chasing the ball is not the same. It is, as he says, schoolboy football. And very young school boys at that. By the age of 12 or so players know a bit about playing your own position, being strong defensively etc. You can't just attack, attack, attack. As if Celtic do that anyway. :D

Mowbray was just showing classic bheast behaviour. If you don't like the truth, deny it utterly and invent a more convenient one. Lie to everyone, especially yourself, and keep doing it because eventually some daft buggers will believe you. Then consolidate your victimhood by telling everyone that it's all the fault of the nasty hun.