Mowbray continues the muppet show...

Another classic from Mowbray!

Aidan McGeady was 'baffled' over referee claim

Published Date: 08 March 2010

By Stephen Halliday

CELTIC manager Tony Mowbray has insisted Aiden McGeady was not fully aware of what he was saying when he accused referee Dougie McDonald of bias in last week's Old Firm showdown.

McGeady is likely to be asked to explain his comments to the SFA's general purposes committee after he was quoted yesterday as claiming McDonald was not "impartial" during Rangers' 1-0 win over Celtic at Ibrox which put the reigning champions firmly in command of the SPL title race. McDonald's dismissal of Celtic captain Scott Brown, which resulted in a failed appeal against the decision by the Parkhead club, was the focus of McGeady's unhappiness.

"It's safe to say he wasn't impartial the other day," said McGeady. "Of course it didn't look like a red card for Scott Brown."

It is yet another twist in the ongoing feud between Celtic and the SFA but Mowbray suggested McGeady did not intend to question the integrity of McDonald.

"I had to think twice about what impartial means," said Mowbray. "I think probably Aiden got baffled by the science of it or the words. If a journalist used the word impartial to him, I'm pretty sure he didn't know what it meant."

That prompted some bemused looks among reporters as Mowbray faced questions following Celtic's 2-0 win at Falkirk yesterday. McGeady, who attended one of Scotland's leading state secondary schools in East Renfrewshire, is generally regarded as one of the more articulate SPL footballers.

"You are trying not to smile because you want to write a serious story," added Mowbray. "Don't say I'm calling him ignorant. That's how wary I am of talking. I can see the headline now: 'Mowbray says McGeady is ignorant.' I'm not going to say that.

"All I'm saying is I don't know in what context he was asked the question. If it's a clever journalist sitting there talking about impartiality, he might not have got the context right. I would be surprised if Aiden came out and criticised the official so openly, or the impartiality of them. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. That was baffling, wasn't it?"

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Aidan-McGeady-was-39baffled39-over.6131069.jp