Thomson halves Ra Shellicks saviour - Keano the pikey

Have to agree maineflyer. I once thought he'd be good captain material, but now I'm really not so sure. I think what makes Weir such a good captain is that every player in the team holds him in the highest regard & respects him immensely both for his ability & professionalism. He's got the presence & strength of character needed to communicate to the squad of players when required and also to communicate with the manager or coaching staff on behalf of the players when required. I'm not certain that Thomson has these traits that make Weir a good captain.

I never rated him in the past like others, in fact I considered him merely average. And when we lost him through injury I didn't really think it was as big a miss as some.

His return from injury saw his form dip to something resembling a travesty and I couldn't understand why he was even playing.

But in the past month there's been a sharp improvement, and in his most recent 2 or 3 appearances he's been simply excellent - peaking during the OF game where he was outstanding.

I don't know where this form has come from, but I welcome it with open arms.

It does make a headache though - we have 4 main CMs - McCulloch, Davis, Edu and Thomson - which 2 do you choose because all 4 are great.

For me it would be Davis plus A.N. Other - the problem (in a positive sense) is that McCulloch's form has been both good AND consistent this season. Previously we would have said Davis plus Thomson OR Edu - but McCulloch wouldnt even be mentioned. But this season has seen Edu struggle to overcome injuries whilst Thomson saw a dip in form on return from his injury. With the departure of Mendes this left us just Davis and McCulloch with McCulloch having many.most fans shaking their head with the thought that we likely would struggle with him in the team.

Quite the contrary happened though - McCulloch playing that holding role so well allowed Davis to show his creativity that he hadnt been doing consistently prior to that. McCulloch and Davis seem to make a good combination.

One thing which is sometimes forgotten in the mix is that it is only a few short months ago that we were calling for WS to accept a 1.5 mill bid for McCulloch from Stoke (or anyone who would have him and for less than even the 1.5 mill that was touted) - much as though he would still have his price, McCulloch has proven himself to be a rather important cog in the wheel of the WS team. His flexibility to play more than one position also is useful with such a small squad.

But to answer the question my choice of CM pairing would likely be Davis & Thomson (but would like to see how Edu fully recovers from his injury because that lad is very athletic and finds himself in goal-scoring positions pretty often !).

It's a very nice problem to have and whatever 2 Walter picks I can honestly say I'll be quite happy with.

Truth is though Davis is a guaranteed starter, and with the other 3 fit the problem is Davis almost definitely gets shunted out to the right wing to accommodate 2 of them in the middle.

The only problem I've had with Thomson is his diving into tackle e.g against Hearts. He has done it quite constantly and it frustrates me when he does it. He is a good player and I still think he could become captain material if he keeps on improving and doesn't get any more horrendous injuries.