Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has revealed he was spat at by some angry Dons fans after the Scottish Cup defeat by Raith Rovers at Pittodrie.

McGhee described the 1-0 loss to the First Division club as the "worst result of my managerial career".

"There was heckling, which you expect; some spitting. I've never experienced anything like that," he told BBC Scotland afterwards.

"Raith were thoroughly deserving of their result."

The Dons forced a replay 10 days ago after firing a late equaliser at Stark's Park, but Gregory Tade's 58th-minute strike was enough to send Raith through on Tuesday.

"Raith battled for every ball and won every header," McGhee said.

"There's no doubt about it, it's the worst result of my managerial career, and that's no disrespect to Raith Rovers.

"We didn't compete for the first ball and never won a header. On a night like this, on a pitch like this we had to at least win the battle and we never won that.

"Raith won the battle and got the breakthrough with the goal. We're out the cup and I'm embarrassed, humiliated. Walking down the track there I'm getting people throwing stuff at me."

The Dons had earned plaudits last weekend after battling back to draw 4-4 with Celtic in a scintillating Scottish Premier League clash at the same venue.

But the emotions among the home supporters could not have been more different after the full-time whistle signalled the end of Aberdeen's Scottish Cup hopes.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Mark McGhee's interview

"I've told the players I think they should be ashamed that they're capable of the sort of performance that they displayed on Saturday (against Celtic) - the battling qualities and the effort, commitment - and to come here tonight and not reproduce that, in a game as important as this, is just scandalous," McGhee added.

The Dons boss said none of his players were immune from criticism.

But he said the defeat would not affect his position at the club and that he was determined to prove a success at Pittodrie.