Everton plan swoop for Charlie Adam

Charlie Adam had one decent season at Rangers. Thereafter, regardless of whether he flitted in and out of the team (there must have been a reason for that, right ???) he was mediocre at best.

I am with Gav - all this nonsense about the "biting the hand off crew" is harsh.

1. Charlie Adam was not getting a regular game.

2. When he was playing he was mediocre at best.

3. Club's finances were already, at that point, under the microscope.

4. Hindsight is 20/20.

If Adam goes to any team for 5 million I would be astonished. There is no way he is a 5 million player (although I do accept that a player is worth what someone will pay for them) but the only question you need ask yourself is "would I want Rangers, if they had the cash, to spend 5 million on Charlie Adam" - answer, NO DANGER.

Charlie Adam may very well have been worth more than the 500k we got for him but given he played in the SPL we would always have struggled to get anything more than 1 mill for him.

I am still shaking my head at Charlie Adam signing for anyone in the EPL at 5 mill. The saying "more money than sense" springs to mind.

Edited by craig

Charlie by his own admission was not a left winger. His best position is left central midfield in a 4-3-3. He only started in this position about 5 times in his entire Rangers career (2 notable occasions were the 3-0 win over Celtic in 07/08 and the 0-0 draw with Barcelona 4 days later)

Then given the options we have/had in CM he was unlikely to get a game there going forward. He effectively, rightly or wrongly, became surplus to requirements.

He's been playing brilliant football in the Championship despite the fact that a lot of Gers fans said he was 'pish' and wouldn't amount to anything down there in what is arguably a better quality league than the SPL. He's scored 11 or 12 goals so far this season & sits 2nd in the Championship top scorer chart amongst strikers from other teams. His goals & assists have helped Blackpool reach 6th place in a 24 team league & put them in contention for a play-off spot. Not bad for a 'pish' Rangers reject that took nothing but abuse from many Gers fans. If you watch the highlights of Blackpool's last game, Adam scored once with a crowded 6-yard box pounce/tap in and also forced brilliant saves from the keeper twice, once with an excellent header & once with one of his wonder-strikes from distance. He also played some great passes to set up others for assists. That's not a one-off type of game for Charlie either. He's been doing that practically all season.

One that got away IMO. Better player than Thomson or McCulloch in central midfield.

One that got away IMO. Better player than Thomson or McCulloch in central midfield.

How can you say that when he never/hardly ever played CM for Rangers ? You are compariong what he is doing with Blackpool to what Thomson and McCulloch do at Rangers. An apples and oranges comparison.

You simply don't know if either of those other players would flourish at Blackpool either. Sure, he has probably scored more goals than Thomson would but, then, they are far different types of players.

Just my opinion Craig. You should know by now that I was one of the few people that wanted us to keep Adam because I liked him as a player & thought he had a lot to offer us. Adam & Davis playing in central midfield could have made a great partnership IMO.

Craig and Gav are talking balls. �£500k looked like a crap fee for Adam then and looks even more foolish now.

Regardless of whether or not his form had dipped, players are regularly at a decent fee for past exploits. A goalscoring midfielder who had done it in Europe. Nothing either of you can say will convince me I'm wrong and I'd be shocked if you have much support for your views.

Craig and Gav are talking balls. �£500k looked like a crap fee for Adam then and looks even more foolish now.

Regardless of whether or not his form had dipped, players are regularly at a decent fee for past exploits. A goalscoring midfielder who had done it in Europe. Nothing either of you can say will convince me I'm wrong and I'd be shocked if you have much support for your views.

We must be fast becoming a laughing matter in private circles down there S_A. The Scottish club where you can buy talented players for nest to nothing and sell them duds like Lafferty for millions of pounds. :(

Charlie by his own admission was not a left winger. His best position is left central midfield in a 4-3-3. He only started in this position about 5 times in his entire Rangers career (2 notable occasions were the 3-0 win over Celtic in 07/08 and the 0-0 draw with Barcelona 4 days later)

I'd disagree with that slightly. He'd struggle in a real 4-3-3 due to his lack of pace. He was fine in a 4-5-1 though, which, from memory, was the formation in both these games.

Because we disagree with you ? Away ye go.

Our financial position was shite then as is now. He wasnt getting a game and was nothing more than an ecpensive squad filler ! And I did say he was worth more than 500k but certainly by no means was he a 5 mill player, and he still isnt. If he was still at Rangers we would have probably paid out 500k in wages to him since we sold him and he still wouldnt be getting a game.

The club were strapped for cash and were always going to accept that bid for someone who wasnt going to get a game.

Call it what you like S_A but your tone is pretty aggressive on something which is merely an opinion, suggesting someone else is "talking balls" just because they disagree with you . Adam had one good season at Rangers but the following year there were players who arrived who were always more likely to get a game. We have a TON of CM's at the club these days and even though Adam is playing well he would have been very unlikely to have dislodged the players at the club now.