Like you, I'd prefer we kept everyone but if we're realistic then that is doubtful.

It could be argued that considering the length injuries to the likes of Thomson, Edu and Mendes we have benifitted from having the surplus players but if it comes to paying for a new wage for Boyd and keeping one of Mendes, McCulloch or Thomson; then I'd rather we sold.

Agree on that Frankie,if selling Mendes or another meant keeping Boyd then I'd settle for that,I just don't want to lose any player just now as we are in a strong position regarding winning our SPL title again

I'd prefer we didn't lose any players but neither can we afford to have five highly paid central midfielders (Davis, Mendes, McCulloch, Edu and Thomson).

5 into 2 doesn't go and as much as I want to retain a strong squad, if we're to lose anyone then Mendes could be a player we could afford to let go (if Thomson and Edu can prove their fitness over the next month).

Davis, Edu, Lee and Thomson is a healthy cross section of CMs - Mendes is surplus.

Middlesbrough are looking to finalise a deal for Rangers star Kris Boyd, skysports.com understands.

Boro are desperate to bolster their squad now the transfer window has opened, and new boss Gordon Strachan wants to mould the team to his liking.

As such Strachan is ready to raid former club Celtic with Gary Caldwell, Barry Robson, Willo Flood and Marc Wilson all on his agenda.

However, Boro's need for a striker has seen him push on to try and land Boyd.

Boyd is out of contract in the summer and Rangers, who have major financial worries off the field, look ready to sell the forward this month rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer.

Birmingham, Newcastle and French side Sochaux have all been linked, but it is believed Boro are now emerging as favourites to land the 26-year-old.

Strachan is hoping he can persuade Boyd to move south of the border with the offer of a significant pay rise.

Indeed, the Boro boss is pressing to try and push through a deal that would see Boyd signed in time to make his debut against Swansea City on Saturday.

Strachan watched Boyd, along with Caldwell and Robson, in action during the Old Firm derby on Sunday and he is believed to have remained in Scotland to hold talks.

Strachan could free up room in his squad by allowing some of his fringe players leave.

Egypt midfielder Mohammed Shawky, who is out of contract at the end of the season, is understood to be in talks with a number of clubs, whilst Didier Digard is rumoured to be interesting Nice - who could be keen to take him on loan.

Apologies if I missed this being posted elsewhere.

Boyd is WGS #1 target apparently.

Several teams are interested but the lad is happy at Ibrox and doesn't want to move. Obviously though he wants (and deserves) a better contract in line with what Miller and Lafferty receive so we can only hope that can be agreed in a timely fashion. Even so, we'll be unable to match the more attractive packages other teams can from England and beyond so we can only hope Boyd's commitment to the club is more than a financial one. Unfortunately his agent's is purely financial and he'll fancy a nice pay day by moving his client on over the next 6 months.

While we're on the subject, a few words on Boyd breaking Larsson's scoring record. Firstly, I don't think anyone can realistically compare the two players as they are markedly different in style. Boyd has always been more of a poacher while Larsson did a bit more in terms of linking the play and bringing a threat right across the last third of the pitch. In that respect, Larsson's SPL goal tally is even more impressive than the number of goals itself. The lad's contribution at international level and his cameos at Barca and Man Utd show his quality so anyone trying to suggest Boyd is a better player is throwing a red herring.

However, over the last year or so, Boyd really has improved a fair bit. Leaner, stronger and a more rounded player; his overall game has matured to a level that compliments his goals more effectively. It's fair to say (like Larsson) he's better with a partner who works well with him and his partnership with Miller has shown that pretty well this season especially. This improvement has been shown with him starting to appear/start in games he may have not been trusted in previously. Therefore, we can hope his contribution in such matches is one that truly allows his effectiveness at higher levels to be judged more fairly than his harshest critics do as it stands.

What is for sure, he was a true bargain when we signed him for Killie and many teams could find themselves a similar bargain if they signed him now as I certainly feel he could make the step up from Rangers and the SPL to a club who are competing in a more testing environment.

I, for one, desperately want him to stay (his goals are invaluable no matter who they come against) but I'd also love to see him progress his career at a higher level so we can all see just how good a player he really is.

If Boyd wanted to go he'd have gone last time Birmingham were interested. Nothing much has changed and he seems to still be improving his game, so I don't really see why much has changed for him. We don't need to sell, so he won't be forced out. Its not going to harm his case to stay and he clearly loves the club and if rumours are to be believed he's not keen on a move away from his home anyway.

You can see why he is a target for English clubs though as they could sign him for 3-4M, double his wages and that's a very cheap signing for them. If he scores goals down there at even half the rate he does up here, that will be an absolute bargain for a number of clubs.

Its also been mentioned a few times that he's happy to play on with the understanding that a new contract will be offered as soon as it can be. While the tabloids will love that or the suggestion he can now sign a pre-contract with anyone, he's done nothing so far to suggest he's not loyal to our cause.

Mike.

Can't see Boyd moving to Boro who are unlikely to be promoted any time soon....

True, but they can pay him more and the Championship is a superior league to the SPL.

There's also the question of our finances - if a significant bid comes in, he may do an Amo and join them for our benefit, with a little persuasion from Senor Johnston. I have no doubt he is a dyed-in-the-wool bear, and no traitor.

But joining a former Celtic manager as opposed to Eck?

Regardless, if we still have his services come the end of the window, it will be an achievement and a half.

If Boyd wanted to go he'd have gone last time Birmingham were interested. Nothing much has changed and he seems to still be improving his game, so I don't really see why much has changed for him.

A couple of things have changed - one is the transfer fee, which could free up more money to meet his wage demands. Another is that City are pretty like to stay up this season given their current lofty position.

What I'd like to know is exactly how much he wants in his next contract? He supposedly turned down 17k a week with Brummie so it's obviously more than that. The other thing I'd like to know is what can we afford to pay?

A couple of things have changed - one is the transfer fee, which could free up more money to meet his wage demands. Another is that City are pretty like to stay up this season given their current lofty position.

What I'd like to know is exactly how much he wants in his next contract? He supposedly turned down 17k a week with Brummie so it's obviously more than that. The other thing I'd like to know is what can we afford to pay?

I thought he wanted parity with Miller & Lafferty, �£18k, I could be wrong

Sorry Calscot, I meant to say that nothing much has changed for him in terms of reasons for him to leave. Its not like things have got worse for him, everything is looking rosy at the moment.

Is it not parity he's after with Miller & Lafferty in terms of wages? Plus being at Ibrox. Maybe he turned the Brummie deal down because 17k a week was a poor offer compared with other players there, but he'd be happy on 17k a week up here.

Mike.