Watterus was shaky as hell, Buffel was nothing special and Kygriakos did OK. Each to their own.

Did these players get us to the last 16 of the CL or not? That's the only claim I made.

And Birmingham were the biggest club in the championship last season, whatever way you look at it.

Presumably you have facts, figures, numbers, and evidence to back this up?

I can't really be bothered continuing to argue about Eck because anyone with half a brain will remember how inept he was by the end.

I can't really be bothered arguing with you if this is the tone you're going to continue to take.

I don't really want Smith or McCoist to have anything more to do with managing the club. We put far too much stock in keeping managers. It's not working so change it. There's clubs all over the world in a bad state financially. We need to adapt as a football club and become progressive. Change is good.

Only if it's well conceived. PLG was change. That wasn't good.

McLeish was the first of the cutbacks managers. He seems to have done pretty well since leaving Rangers, signings included. Just hard to know what the contraints were like at Ibrox then, thinking of what we've learned in the years following. From Advocaat to McLeish the whole size of the club changed, but not the expectations.

I always said Eck came to Rangers too soon. He had too much to learn for being at a club like Rangers. He'll probably be a very good, if not great manager once his skills mature.

It doesn't change the fact that he wasn't quite good enough in his time at Ibrox. It's all about beating or at least challenging Celtic and not finishing miles behind or especially third - the latter is a sacking offence at Rangers.

He may not have had all the resources to push Celtic all the way but he had enough to push them a lot closer and more than enough to see off Hearts.

I think his biggest weakness was team building (especially with limited finances), hence how well he did with Advocaat's left overs and the Scotland team WS put in progress. If he's turned that into a strength then I can see him being one of the best managers around.

The institutional integrity of Rangers was destroyed the day Murray capitulated to Ferguson in the Le Guen debacle, we have never recovered from players being allowed to dictate in that manner, we will not recover from it until Murray and Bain are gone.

I think that's just a gross misinterpretation of what happened. Can I ask you, where is that player who dictates now?

Murray may have many faults but it's Le Guen who lost the dressing room and lacked the desire to get it back.

Murray didn't back Ferguson, he backed the fans who preferred the best player at the club to a manager who seemed to have developed a case of cluelessness.

All managers who agree to work for Rangers should know that if you want time to perform some kind of revolution, you have to do so while challenging for the title. If you can't do that, you shouldn't take the job on.

If Le Guen had stayed say 8pts behind and not gone out of the cups till say the semi-finals, he would have most likely had another season to show he was going somewhere.

In the end you're completely wrong - there is no player that can dictate to the club and WS has demonstrated that repeatedly including with Ferguson, MacGregor, Boyd and Bougherra.

I think that's just a gross misinterpretation of what happened. Can I ask you, where is that player who dictates now?

He was the manager of Rangers for a while after that till he went too far and stuck those fingers up.

I always said Eck came to Rangers too soon. He had too much to learn for being at a club like Rangers. He'll probably be a very good, if not great manager once his skills mature.

It doesn't change the fact that he wasn't quite good enough in his time at Ibrox. It's all about beating or at least challenging Celtic and not finishing miles behind or especially third - the latter is a sacking offence at Rangers.

He may not have had all the resources to push Celtic all the way but he had enough to push them a lot closer and more than enough to see off Hearts.

I think his biggest weakness was team building (especially with limited finances), hence how well he did with Advocaat's left overs and the Scotland team WS put in progress. If he's turned that into a strength then I can see him being one of the best managers around.

McLeish will maybe be a great manager?

You seriously are clueless

Folk on here have very short memories to look back on the ginger half-wit in any positive light.

Since Eck's left he failed to get Scotland qualified with an embarrassing defeat to Georgia proving crucial and got Birmingham relegated so get a grip.

Edited by Totti

What did he do with Scotland? Ultimately didn't qualify and got embarrassed to Georgia. Getting Birmingham promoted when they're probably the biggest club in the division that year is hardly a huge achievement. He got them relegated in the first place.

You clearly have a very short memory if you can think about him in any positive light. Did well with Advocaat's team then when he brought in his own players it was a complete disaster. People forget how bad things were.

Id say he did the same with Scotland - did well with what Walter had set up.

Calscot mentioned above that he thought McLeish went to Rangers to soon, I always thought that about Eck for Scotland, it was never going to be long term and he was still developing as a manager.

Edited by Gribz

I don't disagree which is why I was similarly critical of Eck at the time and Walter now.

Every manager will go through a period of struggling with tactics, their players and achieving success. All the more reason why the infrastructure of the club has to support them during such difficult times. Ours doesn't which concerns me more than the odd bad year under whatever manager you care to name.

It just makes you wonder what situation we would be in "if" our current or previous manager had got the basic decision right of playing players in the proper positions.

I think there is a laid back mentality somewhere at the club stretching from players to management that thinks because We are Rangers then the hard work doesnt have to go in as much and we just have to win a 2 team league. If we got 20% more out of every player fitness wise id say the imnprovement would be huge. I still think we have decent players and a good squad that just need coached and set out properly.