West Ham in for Allan McGregor

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2746833/Zolas-out-to-net-Al.html

WEST HAM are ready to launch a �£4million swoop for Rangers star Allan McGregor.

Hammers gaffer Gianfranco Zola wants the keeper to replace England No1 Robert Green.

Zola's side are deep in debt and Green is a target for Sunderland, whose Scotland goalie Craig Gordon is injured.

McGregor, 28 in January, is in the best form of his career and kept the score down during Tuesday night's 2-0 Champions League defeat to Stuttgart.

His Ibrox heroics prompted Stuttgart ace Alexander Hleb to claim he could move to Manchester United or Manchester City.

But West Ham are already in the hunt as they fight against the drop from the English top-flight.

Along with �£10m-rated Green, the Upton Park outfit could also sell England centre-back Matthew Upson to City for �£12m.

And striker Carlton Cole has been been touted for a �£20m move to Liverpool.

McGregor is shattered that one of his best-ever displays counted for nothing on Tuesday.

He said: "I'm not really pleased that I made a few saves. It's about the team and I'm gutted at the moment.

"I don't think we started so well and we gave Stuttgart too much respect.

"I thought we were quite poor in the first 15 minutes in terms of keeping the ball and passing it.

"I don't think it was really there on Tuesday.

"They seemed to score as we were getting into the game. It happens all the time with us.

"We seem to wait for something to happen to spark us into gear, but we can't do that in these matches."

McGregor, in the frame for a Scotland recall after his Bevvy-gate shame, has urged Gers to focus on the defence of the title.

He added: "We need to be in Europe next season. We will have to win the league to make sure we are straight back into the Champions League.

"But, for now, we need to forget about Europe. It's on the back burner because we have to get ready for Aberdeen on Saturday.

"We'll need to put on a better performance, start with a better tempo and take the game to them.

Advertisement

"They are hard to beat up there because they always seem to raise their game when either of the Old Firm comes to town.

"I think they feel they have nothing to lose so they may as well have a go.

"We've got ourselves in front in the SPL and want to stay there."

Reckon we could get more than �£4million for McGregor although I do think if we're to sell one player in January, then he'll probably be the one given we have Alexander ready to step up once more.

A combined 9M for McGregor and Bougherra would certainly ease the debt plus allow some limited spending. We have to remember that 20M of the debt is a mortgage type loan and so reducing the 11.2M overdraft by over half would make it look a lot better and keep our cash flow healthier. A 4-5M overdraft would be pretty minimal for a 44M minimum turnover.

The rest of the bank's business plan will surely be about trying to reduce costs to break even point in the scenario of a pessimistic European income. McGregor's and Boogie's wages will give a small help towards that as will much lower wage and bonuses of any player that comes in.

Wilson has been a huge bonus in this respect but seeing as we didn't sign any centre backs it seemed Walter always had him in his plans for this season. I also think the plan was to sign one in January to cover for the African's cup without paying the wages for this half of the season.

But we'll definitely have to bring in a cheaper replacement when the Algerian leaves - I doubt we can do well with two teenagers in defence at the same time.

But we'll definitely have to bring in a cheaper replacement when the Algerian leaves - I doubt we can do well with two teenagers in defence at the same time.

What about Andy Webster on loan at Utd? Is it a year long thing, or can he be recalled during the transfer window? If DU can afford his wages, they can't be that huge, and although my following of AW has been limited this season, he was solid at the back vs the tims... would also soften the effect of losing boogie if he is sold at the end of the jan window...

Webster cannot be recalled until the end of the season IIRC...

That's what I thought Frankie, however was speaking to a friend who insisted we could recall him... Is there anywhere (eg SFA) that would have a record of transfers and conditional loans (e.g. it is a condition of websters loan that he cannot play vs Rangers)?

Webster cannot be recalled until the end of the season IIRC...

That's what I thought Frankie, however was speaking to a friend who insisted we could recall him... Is there anywhere (eg SFA) that would have a record of transfers and conditional loans (e.g. it is a condition of websters loan that he cannot play vs Rangers)?

AFAIK we can't recall him. The player could break the contract under exceptional circumstances, but being needed at Ibrox won't qualify as one. If Utd had played Webster in less than 10% of their games come January that's one of the possible get-out clauses in the FIFA rules & the contract could be broken on the grounds that the player isn't being played, but Utd have been playing Webster so that possible get-out is a non-starter. Not sure what other circumstances would enable the contract to be broken, but they'd need to be quite extreme.