3 at the back

What in gods green earth sparked off this short lived experiment last night?

Talk about digging out a formation as dead as the dodo. Just when I thought Walter couldn't fool me again with more tactical mishaps.

We start off with 3 at the back, completely change things 10 minutes in, a minute later the defence are completely confused and concede goal. You couldn't make it up.

WS's second stint is starting to become even more like Eck's later years day by day....

I agree that it was a complete misjudgement to go for that in what was supposedly our biggest 'must win' blah blah game of the season. The attempt to try to 're-train' Lee McCulloch into a number of positions sums up the state of our club at the minute. Some on here have said in the past to try 3 at the back but I would presume they meant with the right players and not a makeshift centre back. A simple 4-4-2 would surely have brought about a much more settled looking line up and was what the fans were expecting to see before last nights game. Instead yet again we were seemed more worried about what they could do to us potentially instead of setting out to have a go at them. It was reminiscent of when Eck put Khizanishvili in to man mark a guy against Auxerre and the boy ended up scoring the goals that knocked us out

Anyone who seriously thinks we should try 3 at the back must live in the 1980's because very few sides successfully implement it in modern day football. It completely leaves you exposed on the wings.

there is a reason why 99% of teams play 4 at the back

Aye, being top of the league with a game in hand is exactly remincent of Eck's last days.

I'm all for slating managers when they fuck up, and Smith didn't cover himself in glory last night, but when you start making ridiculous claims (as Totti is awfully fond) people stop listening to you.

Did Eck get sacked for bad Euro results, or for being into double figure behind in the league early doors?

Yeah, was a strange thing to do when Stuttgart have players like Cacao and Hleb who are all about exploiting space to receive the ball and create. The room in behind Whittaker early on showed this to be the case perfectly.