Rangers kids schooled in way of Dutch Masters

When I worked with Falkirk they got the boys at under 17 iirc in "full-time" like the first team, reserve and u19 squads are, when these boys were on half term at school.

In addition to the usual technical training sessions and the strength and conditioning that I was a coach for they had sessions with a nutritionist and medical staff and I believe additional tactics/technical sessions and physcial conditioning sessions. This is half remembered though and I wasn't involved in the majority of it.

However, it may give us some idea of what the Rangers youths are involved in albeit on a smaller scale.

When I worked with Falkirk they got the boys at under 17 iirc in "full-time" like the first team, reserve and u19 squads are, when these boys were on half term at school.

In addition to the usual technical training sessions and the strength and conditioning that I was a coach for they had sessions with a nutritionist and medical staff and I believe additional tactics/technical sessions and physcial conditioning sessions. This is half remembered though and I wasn't involved in the majority of it.

However, it may give us some idea of what the Rangers youths are involved in albeit on a smaller scale.

Would be fascinating to just see all that from the inside for a day.

recently we may have only had Fleck, Wilson and to a lesser extent Shinnie and Little breaking into the first team recently, but that does not make Murray Park a waste.

There's also McMillan, Ness, Lennon, Wylde, Loy, Kinniburgh & some others who are 1st team contenders, although they didn't all join Rangers at an early age. One or 2 didn't join until they were 16, 17 & even 18.

Edit - Kinniburgh is out on loan atm.

As i have said before and one of our other posters pointed out during the week the problem is not only at prof level,the problem lies deep in the grass root system. I have been reading the ET tonight and another article that took my eye was Andy McClaren saying he was taking kids off the streets and giving them coaching. While that is a fantastic initiative without the pitches, without a full competitive youth competition without coaches at all levels these are just talent spotting nights and no real long term answer to the problems of Scottish football.

I also read Age concern by Chris McCart of Celtic and one line in that story makes me cringe.

"There is a massive fall-out, but working with a player who can make it to that kind of level is what we are concentrating and working towards.

I understand that there is a massive fallout at prof level but as i have seen,heard and read there is just no safety net in place in Scotland to pick up the guy's that just missed out and bring them up to a higher level. Some players develop later than others and if a prof team throws out an 8 year old without steering him to a club that can possibly bring him on in the future then the chances are he will be lost to football for ever.

It is great to fish off the top of an iceberg but if it does not have a broad base then the chances are you will fall in the water.

WHILE Celtic have been pioneering in their shake-up of youth development, Chris McCart believes the club may have to aim to take kids in at an even younger age.

The club have teams from under-8s all the way up, but could try to spend longer training with the primary school age-group.

"A decade ago we were arguing over the 13-year-olds, then five years ago it was over the 11-year-olds, and then the 10-year-olds.

advertisement

"Now we are down to trying to get them in at 7 and 8," said McCart.

"We have around 20 full-time coaches at Celtic, with teams from under-8s all the way up.

"There is a massive fall-out, but working with a player who can make it to that kind of level is what we are concentrating and working towards.

"Our net will always be focussed in Glasgow, and from there on we will widen the net to take in the likes of Dundee and Aberdeen before then starting to look at other countries.

"Glasgow will always be where we look first and I think supporters identify with a guy who makes it into the first-team having come through the youth ranks at the club."

I like the fishing/iceberg analogy pete.

I was being a bit narrowminded in not considering the wider, grass roots level I guess. But concentrating on elite performers is what interest me and I need to be mindful that at the youth level they come from the wide base of the pyramid (or iceberg) of participants.

I'm a bit shocked by McCart's comments about being a bit blinkered towards Glasgow as well. Does anyone really care if our youths come from Glasgow, Dundee or even the Highlands, so long as they are the best?

It may or may not be admirable that the Scottish education authorities are allowing these youngsters a day off their schooling, but in the case of football they'll being looking at as no more than work placements from an early age. In another sense it's also a major cop-out by the education authorities because they don't currently employ even a single football coach in every school and when you consider that football is by far the most popular sport in Scotland, it's a complete outrage. Every single school should have a football coach, but the reality of the situation is that most schools don't have one at all. High schools have generic physical education teachers & many have PE teachers who happen to be more concerned, with rugby, hockey etc etc than football. If you want to shake up the grass roots of football in this country there should at least be a football coach in every school, otherwise you can just about forget the idea of things improving. Over to the Scottish education authorities.....

Zappa, at my secondary school (in England) the head of P.E ended up letting the captain pick the team. Basically picked his mates. Now granted this tended to be most the best players, but a few were excluded due to being part of different crowds. Frankly shocking.

Zappa, at my secondary school (in England) the head of P.E ended up letting the captain pick the team. Basically picked his mates. Now granted this tended to be most the best players, but a few were excluded due to being part of different crowds. Frankly shocking.

At my high school there was practically no football at all in the physical education. They were more concerned with rugby, athletics & hockey because the school had a tradition of doing well in those sports. Football was the biggest sport in the country though, so the education authorities failed in their application of a sensible physical education curriculum.

At my high school there was practically no football at all in the physical education. They were more concerned with rugby, athletics & hockey because the school had a tradition of doing well in those sports. Football was the biggest sport in the country though, so the education authorities failed in their application of a sensible physical education curriculum.

During part of the academic year they tried to make me do dance. Dance for fucks sake. Needless to say I didn't participate and it's probably why I need several beers before hitting a dance floor.

During the different terms there were normally options though. I excelled in a few sports; football, rugby, athletics. And due to my competitive nature was passable in most others for school level. Why not let the kids do sports that they actually enjoy?

Mine was a "rugby" school too so perhaps explains the antipathy towards the footy team.

Anyway, dragging things off topic. :o