Plan For Two-Tier Premier League [Rangers]

The proposal by Bolton Wanderers' chairman, Phil Gartside, for an expanded two-division Premier League which would include Celtic and Rangers has been revived and is on the agenda for next Thursday's Premier League clubs' meeting. His idea is prompted by what Gartside has described as a "fear factor" among the smaller clubs, who are desperately worried about the financial cost of relegation to the Championship and are overspending to avoid it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/06/premier-league-two-division-gartside

Gartside appears to be the only representative of an English club who is interested in this idea.

And the rest all talk about him behind his back saying he's a sandwich short of a picnic etc.

This isn't going to happen. Best thing we could aim for is a British Cup - merging the two league cups which have lost interest in both countries.

I have been saying that for ages now, especially with Carling sponsoring the OF & the English league cup I thought they might have tried to suggest it.

Looks like a Dream as the other clubs wont vote us in without compensation

the big 4 wont really care , as we would take time to find our feet and then start challenging for honours

As much as this happening would excite me , i would be concerned about losing our Scottish Heritage and History and also Representing England in Europe.

But for the club to progress to the next level we dont have a choice if they will take us we will be there.

Dont think this has a chance in hell of happening, and I dont support it either.

We are Scottish, and belong here in our league.

We must try to do as best as we can domestically, and in European competition, and live within our means.

If we continue to do this, when the Sky/EPL bubble eventually bursts (or even deflates), we will be in a very strong position to compete again.

Davie Moyes is backing the idea! :whistle:

Moyes backs two-tier league plan

Everton manager David Moyes has backed proposals for a two-tier Premier League involving Celtic and Rangers.

The idea, suggested by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, will be discussed by Premier League clubs next week.

"I'd like to see it because I'm a Scotsman and I think it would be great to see Celtic and Rangers initially in a Premier League Two," said Moyes.

"TV would be interested, media would be interested and the crowds at every ground in the country would increase."

Moyes added: "Both Celtic and Rangers have as big a support as any team in England. From that point of view it would help the game in England if we need a boost in revenue."

Gartside's plan, initially proposed last year, involves the Premier League being expanded into two divisions of 18 teams.

The inclusion of Glasgow giants Celtic and Rangers could lead to an increase in television revenue that would be spread across a greater number of teams.

Gartside, one of the longest-serving chairmen in the top flight, said when he first floated the idea that he felt it would make the Premier League more competitive.

The proposals have struggled to gain support, with the top clubs keen to protect the status quo. Any change to the Premier League rules would require 14 clubs to vote in favour.

"I would rather this than an Atlantic league, or some other European league," said Moyes, a former Celtic player. "We have Welsh teams playing in English football so why not Scottish?"

"The Scottish teams are really, really big clubs and I feel it would be good for everyone."

"I am sure it would work, even if it would open a can of worms over other nations, say Belgian and Holland, for example, joining forces."

Meanwhile, Moyes has admitted that the burden of midweek European football is stretching his squad to the limits and having a detrimental effect on the club's league form.

Everton, who lost 2-0 to Benfica in the Europa League on Thursday night, go into Sunday's league meeting with West Ham without injury victims Mikel Arteta, Phil Jagielka, Leon Osman, Victor Anichebe, James Vaughan and Phil Neville.

"Maybe we could look back and say Europe has been a hindrance to us," he said.

"I've tried not to have any regrets but the more and more games you play the more you realise that managers have talked a lot of sense in the past."

"It makes it very difficult to win the Premier League games when you have got midweek games."

"Maybe that's why the word rotation has been used quite a lot to try to make sure everybody is as fresh as they can be."

"I've always wanted to put out my strongest team but undoubtedly it could be having an effect on some of the Premier League results."

Everton are only two points above the relegation zone after collecting just three wins in 10 league games this season.