McGeady�s the next Arshavin

SIMPLICITY is genius.

The sooner Aiden McGeady realises that the sooner my old Celtic team-mate will fulfil his potential - and get his critics off his back.

Not only that he'll take himself to the English Premier League.

A lot has been said about McGeady in the last few weeks.

From Jim McLean attacking him for his Old Firm performance to Mark Lawrenson saying he's a two-bob show pony, the word seems to be he's not all he's cracked up to be.

But let me state here and now that in terms of what's required to be a top-class player McGeady is everything and more.

He just needs to prove it.

He's not a kid anymore at 23 but McGeady has the talent and ability in his locker to mix it with the very best.

I mean it, I look at him and see a boy who could sign for any of England's top six clubs in the next two or three years.

He could walk into the Arsenal side tomorrow and take Andrey Arshavin's place.

That may sound OTT but the reason I can say that - and others won't - is that I've worked with him in the training ground and know what he's about.

He can be frustrating, I'll give you that. I'm not going to lie, I see him try and take on two and three defenders at the one time and I scream at him to pass the ball inside.

Arsenal v Olympiacos

OUT ON HIS ARSH ... John says Aiden would take Arshavin's place

And that's just when I'm watching him on TV.

His ability on the ball is unquestionable when he's on his game because he is more than capable of beating men and causing havoc.

But the odds are stacked against him every time.

For every one time he'll get to the bye-line there will be eight other occasions when he will be stopped. He'd realise that if he stopped to think a little bit more than he does.

It may sound the easiest thing in the world, popping the ball five yards to the side when there's nothing on ahead.

But the best players do it. They keep possession until they're faced with a one-on-one situation then hit the defender hard.

It doesn't matter if you're Robinho, if you are giving the ball away every time you get hold of it you're a complete waste of time to the team.

Your gaffer doesn't want you going past your man once every six or seven times. McGeady must get that into his head because if he does Celtic will have a real player on their hands. The one he's always threatened to be.

He's up there at the moment in my book but he'd step up to another level by playing the game with his head as much as he does with his feet.

In terms of having a natural gift, though, he's out on his own in this country.

Remember when he burst on to the scene? I played the night he turned in that electric display against AC Milan in the Champions League when he tore them to shreds.

Paolo Maldini said afterwards McGeady was going to be a world beater.

I can also think back to games when he's been different class.

Look at the turn he did at Pittodrie last season when he turned 360 degrees and knocked the ball across goal for Scott McDonald to score - that was genuine class.

McGeady does that sort of thing half a dozen times a season while most players don't do it half a dozen times in their entire career.

Advertisement

When you set standards like that for yourself then it's always going to be difficult.

At times in recent years I reckon it's been too easy for him if I'm being honest.

The problems with Gordon Strachan haven't helped. I don't care what anyone says, you want your manager to put his arm around you and say how good you are.

You don't want him giving you a hard time.

Gordon was maybe on McGeady's case too often and as a result a problem materialised.

That's where I see a bit of myself in McGeady. I was in the Arsenal side at 18 and started well before settling down a little but I was always better when someone was patting me on the back, not kicking me up the backside.

It's not easy when you force your way into a massive team like Celtic and everyone is raving about you. Trust me, I've been there.

It's tough when expectations are raised because if those standards slip, even just slightly, people tend to jump on that.

For me that's being hyper-critical and unfair on the lad.

With all due respect, McLean and Lawrenson should know better but I can guarantee McGeady will go onto bigger and better things.

The Premiership is where Celtic long to be in the years ahead - but for me McGeady will get there a lot sooner than the club will.

:fish::eek:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/columnists/johnhartson/2687098/McGeadys-the-next-Arshavin.html

What idiot wrote that? The only John I can think of is Hartson, in which case I assume it's a sympathetic squib from a friend in the papers. But it's wishful thinking. He's a good player, McGeady, but he hasn't done it for nearly 2 season now: that's not a dip in form, the form he's showing now IS his class.