Burley�s Blues battle!!!!

GEORGE Burley spent most of the World Cup campaign battling a group of Rangers players who didn�t want him as Scotland manager.

Within weeks of his appointment Burley felt that a clique of Ibrox players were not showing him enough respect and were not enthusiastic about playing for him. That sucked him into a draining, damaging relationship with a handful of players as Scotland�s Group 9 campaign collapsed towards failure.

The beleaguered Scotland boss�s future will be decided when he meets SFA office-bearers George Peat, Gordon Smith, Campbell Ogilvie and Alan McRae on Tuesday, and when he makes his case to be given the Euro 2012 campaign, Burley will make it clear that his efforts were undermined by a small group of obstructive players, all of whom are no longer Scottish internationalists.

Lee McCulloch and Kris Boyd retired from international football during the qualifiers, while Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor were banned indefinitely for going on a lengthy drinking session in the SFAââ?¬â?¢s hotel during a double-header against Holland and Iceland. All four of them were Rangers players at the time, although others ââ?¬â?? Kenny Miller, Davie Weir, Steven Whittaker, Steven Naismith and Kirk Broadfoot ââ?¬â?? served Burley well in the qualifiers. He has no problem with the Ibrox club itself, he said.

Burley refused to name any of the players who had undermined him, but he revealed it had been a damaging distraction for most of his first campaign in charge of Scotland.

ââ?¬Å?Youââ?¬â?¢re a new manager, youââ?¬â?¢re going into a new set-up and initially things arenââ?¬â?¢t going the way you hoped they would,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?The commitmentââ?¬â?¢s got to be there. You impose your own style and you have to gain that respect. The commitment wasnââ?¬â?¢t there from everybody and it has to be. You notice body language from day one. Everybody has got to be behind the country and behind me, because Iââ?¬â?¢m the coach. Theyââ?¬â?¢ve got to be behind the cause because if they donââ?¬â?¢t believe in it, itââ?¬â?¢s going to dampen the rest of the squad.ââ?¬Â

One SFA source compared Burleyââ?¬â?¢s problem with the one faced by former Rangers manager Paul Le Guen, who lasted only six months at Ibrox. ââ?¬Å?George wasnââ?¬â?¢t happy with four or five players who didnââ?¬â?¢t particularly want to play for him and didnââ?¬â?¢t give him the respect they should have. That had to be sorted out and it has been.ââ?¬Â

There had been at least one occasion when a player looked away and whistled while Burley was talking to him. The manager has also been exasperated by public discussion of his future by SFA president Peat and chief executive Smith.

Burley, who felt the need to apologise to Chris Iwelumo after Peat blamed the striker for the campaignââ?¬â?¢s failure, revealed he was frustrated that his own future had not been clarified already. ââ?¬Å?My job is to try and control the team; unfortunately I canââ?¬â?¢t control the SFA. Whatever they decide, Iââ?¬â?¢ll accept and weââ?¬â?¢ll move on. Itââ?¬â?¢s a little bit ridiculous that itââ?¬â?¢s hanging on at the moment. When would I have liked to have known what happens next? Today.ââ?¬Â

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/burley-s-blues-battle-1.919578

It just gets better, he didn't have to pick these Rangers players who weren't playing for him did he??

Sooner he goes the better............

I think most of the TA would love it if all the Rangers players turned round and said 'shove it' and didnt play for Scotland again. After the abuse Kenny Miller and Davie Weir took on Sat at M'Well they must be having 2nd thoughts about turning out in the Dark Blue again

I think most of the TA would love it if all the Rangers players turned round and said 'shove it' and didnt play for Scotland again. After the abuse Kenny Miller and Davie Weir took on Sat at M'Well they must be having 2nd thoughts about turning out in the Dark Blue again

I'd be happy with that as well,I mentioned the Motherwell fans singing that in another post,......no-one likes :)