Rangers and Northern Ireland youngster Andrew Little was deployed as a defender by Walter Smith at Portsmouth, but the 20-year-old still regards himself as a striker.

Little has been called into the Northern Ireland squad that will face Israel on Wednesday night and it is up front he believes he will be jostling for a position.

"I enjoy playing as a striker and that is ideally where I would like to play in the future," he said. "In recent times I have been playing up front for Northern Ireland and at the under-age levels.

"I made my senior debut as a forward against Poland. I definitely feel I have something to offer as a striker and hopefully I can show that to the Northern Ireland coaching staff this week.

advertisement

"I was a little surprised to be named in the squad, but it is a boost for me at a time when things are going well at Rangers.

"I went with the first-team squad to Germany in pre-season as well as the Emirates Cup, but made my first start against Portsmouth.

"Some people may find it strange that I play in two different positions, but I am happy to play anywhere I'm needed.

"I've played at the back a lot for Rangers' reserve team and I think if I am going to become a regular in the squad at the moment it will be at the back because of a injuries, but they still see me as a striker."

Little admits that despite his preference over playing positions, just being involved with the Ibrox top team has delighted him.

"Maybe somewhere down the line a decision will have to be made as to whether I am a striker or defender but, at the minute, I'm just loving my football," he said.

"For this week, I will do everything possible to impress the international staff and if I get a chance against Israel, hopefully I'll show what I can do in front of goal."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2524792.0.0.php

Scotland and Rangers under-21 midfielder Andrew Shinnie is bracing himself for what he believes will be a defining season in his professional career.

The 20-year-old Aberdonian has been on the fringes of Walter Smith's first team for the past few seasons, but he believes he is now at an age where he needs to be playing regularly.

Currently on Scotland under-21 duty with Billy Stark's squad at Dunblane Hydro, the player is desperate to build on the experience he gained when out on loan at Dens Park in the latter half of last term.

advertisement

Breaking through at either half of the Old Firm - and staying there - is notoriously difficult but Shinnie has been encouraged by the lack of transfer activity at Ibrox this summer.

"The fact that as a club we haven't signed anyone yet this summer is encouraging for some of the younger lads in the squad.

"I am sure that if there are injuries and suspensions as the season goes on, there will be a wee chance to get in," he said. "It's a big season and I need to kick on and try and get involved.

"The experience that I had with Dundee was great last season and it felt good to get a run of first-team, competitive games.

"You never know if you can cut it in anyone's first-team until those questions are asked of you and I enjoyed the experience."

Stark's under-21 squad are enjoying a three-day training camp as they begin preparations for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers.

There are no proper games arranged, but the team will play a couple of closed-door bounce matches.

The under-21s face Austria next month in their first qualifying match and after being part of the team that missed out on the Championships by only a point last time around, Shinnie is desperate to play a part in this one.

"It is always nice to have involvement at international level," he said. "The next few days will give us all a chance to get to know one another because there are a few new faces and hopefully we'll then go into the qualifiers in a positive frame of mind."