Celt pranksters target Maurice

RANGERS star Maurice Edu was caught out by Celtic fan pranksters who hijacked a live online video chat - and duped him into saying hello to Gerry Adams.

Hoops supporters got the unsuspecting American ace to give "a shout out to" the Sinn Fein president and wish Bobby Sands - the IRA hunger-striker - a happy birthday.

They also asked him to say hello to "Chucky Arla" - a reference to Republican slogan" tiocfaidh ar la" - and urged him to wish "Erin Go Bragh", Gaelic for "Ireland forever", a "speedy recovery in hospital".

The Celtic fans hijacked the chat as the player answered questions from Gers supporters through live stream site Ustream while he relaxed at home.

Reply . . . Gerry Adams

(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Sources at Rangers last night admitted the 23-year-old star had been "naive".

One insider said: "Maurice is a really nice guy and he's been doing this sort of thing for a few years. He is always very friendly and receptive towards the supporters but he has been caught out big time here.

"He is a young boy in a new country and he has been really naive. I'm amazed that no one had warned him before hand but he's learned the hard way."

Edu made the blunders as he replied to one poster who wrote: "Mo, could you do a shout out for Chucky Arla? He's in hospital watching and also a big shout out to Gerry Adams?"

Edu replied: "To Gerry Adams, happy birthday."

Advertisement

Another poster said: "Hey Mo, could you wish my sister Erin Go Bragh a speedy recovery? She's watching in hospital." The player obliged, saying: "To Erin Go Bragh, I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope she gets better."

Another fan added: "Mo can you say happy birthday to my brother Bobby Sands, it's his 21st birthday today." Innocently Edu said: "And happy birthday to Bobby Sands."

Worried Rangers fans tried to warn Edu that the site had been "invaded by Celtic fans". He quit the stream after 30 minutes.

Last night a Rangers spokesman said: "We are disappointed some people have used this to take advantage of him.

"It is obvious he was led into saying things by mischief makers."

Typical but I guess we'd find it funny if it was the other war around.....

The guy, shouldn't be embarrassed, he didn't know and in the end it's all pretty harmless really.

It is very sad however - and representative that they chose the Sinn Fein and IRA route. I don't think Rangers fans would have used the UDA, UVF or even the more innocuous OO as a Celtic wind up.

At worst there might have been a reference to Billy King but a previous king of England is hardly offensive - just as a reference to James II or Bonny Prince Charlie.

I think this highlights how pathetic some fans can be.

Here is a celebrity, reaching out to fans, and in actual fact he should be PRAISED in my opinion for saying happy birthdays and encouraging those in hospital, which he took in good faith were genuine.

Yes it was naive, but he didn't do anything wrong, infact i think what he did was good. Shows you how some people are just vindictive, sad and pathetic.

Keep on Truckin' Mo :thup:

Anyone get the feeling if this was the other way about it would be branded bigoted shame etc and would be all over the front of the papers !!

Scottish Media like to sweep alot of things under the carpet. Who wrote this article Jon ??

yeah, such high wit really makes our making them all jump up in emphatic exclamation because they thought they were onto the league look piteable.

"i made a rangers player say something about the ira by taking advantage of his kindness, aren't i just so funny?"

straight out the top drawer.