Just on from my post in the masters thread got me thinking about all the keepers Ive seen since watching Gers. Its a position where we have had some top top notch keepers and some shockers.

Woods was the first i really remember then on from there. Who was before him? Peter McCloy??

I always miss someone obvious out.

Chris Woods

Colin Scott

Bonni Ginzburg

Andy Goram

Ally Maxwell

Theo Snelders

Antti Niemi

Thomas Mhyre

Andy Dibble

Lionel Charbonnier

Stefan Klos

Ronald Wattereus

Letizi

Alan McGregor

Neil Alexander

Nicky Walker was before Woods.

As a 'keeper myself (allegedly), I've always been interested in our goalies. Woods and Goram were obviously brilliant (I rate Goram as highly as any goalie in the world) but we really have been spoilt for choice at Rangers for the last 20 years or so.

Before Woods, it was a toss up between McCloy and Nicky Walker.

I don't think the Bears ever really appreciated the Big Gas Meter? He arrived at the club from Motherwell, in a deal that saw Brian Heron and Bobby Watson going to Fir Park. The goalkeeping situation at Rangers prior to McCloy's arrival was transient. Norrie Martin, Eric Sorensen, and Gerry Neef had competed for the number one jersey for three years, all failed to establish themselves long term.

Big Peter had a poorish start, the team suffered a few unexpected away defeats and he was blamed. A low struck shot from distance at East End Park had evaded him and immediately it was a case of, 'he's too big, cannae get doon tae low shots'. His form improved and the team's too, 1971,72, and '73 saw three trophies arrive. During his 16 years as a Keeper at the club(he spent another few years as a youth coach), he was challenged by Stewart Kennedy, Jim Stewart, and Nicky Walker. Both Kennedy and Stewart were international Keepers, but Big Peter always survived.

He made 533 appearances, 230 shut-outs.

In the 1974/75 season, Stewart Kennedy was as good a goalkeeper as I have seen at Ibrox. One of the main reasons we won the League that season, of course it all went wrong after Wembley.

We took the Strathclyde Uni Union mini bus to that game, 22 of us in a sixteen seater. We were uber confident, Stewart Kennedy in goals, Alfie Conn in flowing locks strutting the midfield, and Derek Parlane up front. Conn had a decent game and Parlane was unlucky with a shot that hit the post. As for Kennedy?

I continue to see him wrapped around the post, the ball behind him in the net. We were 3 down in no time, a Bruce Rioch penalty brought us some hope, onlt to concede another two. It was a 5-1 humping. Like every other Scot, we had all retired to the Wembley bars(behind the stands), downing warm bitter from plastic tumblers.

The mini bus returned with only 18 on it, everyone of us had reviewed our appreciation of Stewart Kennedy. His performance that day, totally destroyed his confidence, he did not look like an international keeper after the Kev'n'Trev show.