Kevin Thomson: Tony Mowbray has his work cut out stopping dominant Rangers

I can see them spending some money, but it won't be a vast amount since they can't afford to risk getting into serious debt again. They won't spend any more than �£10m between this window & the January one unless they sell some players.

From sportinglife :

Much has been made of the Old Firm's struggle to match the Premier league giants for spending power and new boss Tony Mowbray admitted today that there will be no major summer spending spree. He also backed the current playing staff adding: ""I'm not coming here with a big axe to swing and cut everything out."

I can see them spending some money, but it won't be a vast amount since they can't afford to risk getting into serious debt again. They won't spend any more than �£10m between this window & the January one unless they sell some players.

I'd be surprised if they spent more than �£4m net, unless the qualify for the CL.

From sportinglife :

Much has been made of the Old Firm's struggle to match the Premier league giants for spending power and new boss Tony Mowbray admitted today that there will be no major summer spending spree. He also backed the current playing staff adding: ""I'm not coming here with a big axe to swing and cut everything out."

Sounds good to me. :spl:

I'd be surprised if they spent more than �£4m net, unless the qualify for the CL.

Yep, I assume that the 4 mill net is after they have paid 2.5 mill for Mowbray and his team - so 6.5 mill net but 4 mill net on players.

I cant see them spending vast sums of money - if for no other reason than they have already seen what happened to us when we did it. In an economic recession where there is turmoil all around it would be foolish to spend copious amounts of money. Add to that the uncertainty over the Setanta deal (not a great deal of money to the OF but income nonetheless) and you can see why they would keep their cheque book in the biscuit tin.

They know that non-qualification to the CL hurts financially so they won't want to spend too much on players unless and until they have qualified and that is no easy task.

If we rid ourselves of our "deadwood" and move on players such as Ferguson then our wages will significantly reduce. Even if we use just the transfers out proceeds for transfers in then we will still save a chunk of money from wages. The income from the CL could then be used to reduce the debt and we could see the finances of the OF a lot closer than they have been for a while.