McCoist happy to wait his turn

Ally McCoist insists he is more than happy to wait a while longer for the top job at Rangers after Walter Smith expressed a desire to remain at Ibrox.

Smith could have walked away in a blaze of glory after clinching the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on the final day of the season but has stated his intention to stay on next term.

"With the greatest respect, it's not about me," said the assistant boss.

"I'm thoroughly enjoying what I'm doing at the club just now as assistant manager and I firmly believe I'm learning from one of the best in the business.

"We all are - Kenny McDowall, Iain Durrant, big Jim Stewart and myself. As long as that continues, we'll be absolutely delighted.

"You just want to walk about with your eyes and ears open and take in as much as you can and soak up as much as possible.

"It is an education and we do want to further that education. At this moment, we are having a great time and thoroughly enjoying it."

McCoist added: "When you look at the last two-and-a-half years, it's an incredible rollercoaster we have been on when you think about it.

"There has been everything involved - European finals, losing the league on the last day, winning the Scottish Cup, losing the League Cup this year.

"There has been a bit of everything. The players and management have all been through it together."

Seems pretty clear that Coisty will be our next manager after WS after reading that. Pretty much the same as he said after winning the league.....

Depends how successful he is. If he can win a few leagues in a row and gets the fans behind him, then he may look at Alex Ferguson and start to wonder how long he can go on...

I can see him staying at least two more unless he makes a hash of next season.

Why are we doing this? Is McCoist the best that we can get when Smith leaves?

no but he'll be the cheap option and that is a big reason why he was chosen as assistant manager was it not?

I think McCoist should hang onto this role, learn as much as possible then once WS finishes he should leave at the same time. Then McCoist should go try being No.1 elsewhere for a while to see how he does and it will make him better prepared for then taking the Gers job.

I think when his time comes Ally McCoist will be a very successful Rangers manager. I don't see the point in him having to prove himself elsewhere beforehand. Did Walter have to do that when Souness left?

Also, this is a side that Ally has helped to build, so as long our success continues I don't have any problem whatsoever with him taking over.

no but he'll be the cheap option and that is a big reason why he was chosen as assistant manager was it not?

But there may be other better cheap options when Smith leaves. Why commit ourselves at this point to McCoist?