Edu and Mendes doubts for Scottish Cup final

Rangers are sweating over the fitness of Pedro Mendes and Maurice Edu ahead of Saturday's Homecoming Scottish Cup final against Falkirk.

The midfield duo both picked up thigh knocks during last weekend's 3-0 win over Dundee United, which saw the Ibrox club clinch the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title.

Assistant boss Ally McCoist is hoping Edu will be able to train tomorrow and will also give Mendes until the last minute to prove his fitness ahead of the game.

However, Barry Ferguson could be set to make his first start since the 'Boozegate' affair if one or both fail to make the clash at Hampden.

McCoist said: "If they don't play, there will be an opportunity for Barry to come in and the same applies to Lee McCulloch.

"As one door closes for one person, it will open for someone else."

Former Rangers captain Barry Ferguson could be set to start in the Scottish Cup final as Maurice Edu and Pedro Mendes struggle with injuries.

The Ibrox club face Falkirk on Saturday with the intention of completing a league and cup Double and Ally McCoist is happy to bring Ferguson in if the pair are unavailable.

“We’ve got one or two injury problems - Pedro Mendes has a knock on his knee and thigh, as has MauriceEdu,” the Rangers assistant manager told his pre-match press conference.

“We are very, very hopeful Mo will train tomorrow and we’ll obviously give Pedro right up until humanly possible to make the game.

“Both of them were injured on Sunday and if they don’t play, there will be an opportunity for Barry Ferguson to come in.

“The same applies with Lee McCulloch too. As one door closes for one person, it’ll open for someone else.

“We managed to get two or three of the boys on at Tannadice and we don’t have any problem if one or two of the lads don’t make it.

“We’re quite comfortable with the lads we can bring on in their places should be necessary.”

Really hoping that Edu will make it. Wouldn't have a problem with Fergie coming in for Mendes tbh although Mendes did play well last week.

Whilst it would be preferable they both make it, whoever comes in we will still be too strong. I'm not unduly concerned.

True, I've just taken a real shine to Edu though. Great attitude, good amount of brain cells and can stand up for himself on the park. Also seems to have really taken to the club and the support. He'll play in the Premiership at some stage without question.

Hopefully Edu will be with us for a good few years before he thinks about the Premiership and keeps improving with age and experience. We have had a pretty good example of players starting with us and then moving on and having a lot of success, Rino, Gio, Arteta all spring to mind.

True, I've just taken a real shine to Edu though. Great attitude, good amount of brain cells and can stand up for himself on the park. Also seems to have really taken to the club and the support. He'll play in the Premiership at some stage without question.

I agree he deserves to be playing on Saturday and at the centre of the celebrations. :spl:

But that's football and he will be happy enough having played a part in winning the main trophy.

Shop window opportunity for Ferguson ?

As I think Ferguson will leave and as I believe that with him in the team we will still be too strong for the Bairns I would actually hope that WS/AM goes with Ferguson over Mendes.

Edu deserves the start as he has been our best midfielder since coming in. Mendes has been poor and, as much as that, I think Derfuson deserves a proper last game for us before moving on.

I think both will make it again for the last game of the season and if they played liked last week Falkirk won't stand a chance, here's hoping!!

Playing like we did on Sunday we would blow a hell of a lot of teams away, never mind Falkirk.