Forget my legacy .. I just live to win titles

THE sceptics told Walter Smith never to go back.

They warned him that he could wreck his nine-in-a-row legacy.

It was heartfelt advice he considered, then ignored.

Now Smith stands just 90 minutes from showing everyone he was RIGHT to return to Rangers.

The Gers gaffer, who can lift the SPL trophy with victory at Tannadice tomorrow, said: "It is always difficult when you are a manager.

"The competitive spirit you have ensures you want to win.

"A lot of people said I was wrong to come back to Ibrox.

"They told me it's never good to go back.

"I thought maybe they had a case with what they were saying.

"But I don't have the kind of ego that bothers too much about that kind of stuff.

"I just saw coming back as another challenge and so far it has been an enjoyable one."

The Ibrox legend knew he was risking everything when he answered the call to succeed Paul le Guen.

He endured a messy split from the SFA and the wrath of the Tartan Army.

He sacrificed leisure time with his family and beloved grandkids.

And he endangered his lofty position in the affections of Gers fans after his heroics first time around.

But Smith, now 61, just couldn't resist the opportunity to come back for a second spell at the helm.

He has already won both domestic cups, reached a UEFA Cup Final and taken Gers to two last-day title deciders.

And it's the kind of gripping last-day tension which will be on show tomorrow that persuaded Smith to ignore all the advice in January 2007.

He added: "Coming back here has had its disappointments, but it has been enjoyable.

"Managerially, this season has been a challenge with all the things that have happened.

"But this game on Sunday is one of the reasons I came back.

"You miss this kind of tension going into the last day of the season.

"You miss not being able to say you are a winner.

"I don't look upon it as anything for me in terms of my CV. But I do want to win this as much as I wanted to win the first championship I was involved in."

Advertisement

Click here

Smith landed TEN titles in a dozen silver-strewn seasons of success in the 80s and 90s.

He gathered his first championship under Jim McLean with Dundee United in 1983.

Now he's desperate to return to Tannadice and land Gers' first title for four years.

He said: "I've always found Tannadice a difficult place to go since I moved away from United.

"They are all difficult games at this stage and this one will be no different.

"I was at United the first time I was involved with a team which won the championship.

"We had to go to Dens Park on the last day. That was a difficult one, too.

"But the games when you are going out to win championships are always tough matches.

"When you get into these positions, you always look at what's happened during the season.

"If you had said at the start of January it would have come down to this, we'd have taken it.

"I felt Celtic going seven points in front, with the consistency they have shown over the last few seasons, meant it was going to be a difficult task to get that number of points back again.

"It's been a great effort to get into the position we are in now.

"Even after we beat Aberdeen last week, Celtic had the advantage of goal difference. But Celtic drawing at Easter Road - like we did - has given us an opportunity to win the championship.

"At the start of January it would have been something which, in my darker moments, I would not have thought possible."

Smith is refusing to take anything for granted as he heads for Dundee.

Gers have won just one of their last NINE trips to Tannadice - and that was more than three years ago.

United need a point to guarantee fourth place and qualification for the Europa League.

Smith added: "United would have hoped to have clinched a European place beforehand.

"For a lot of their play over the season, they probably deserve to have done so.

"But they now find themselves in a position where they still have something to play for.

"They won't care if Rangers win the championship or not.

"They will try to achieve their own ambition and that makes it an even more difficult match.

"We went to Aberdeen on the last day of last season when they had nothing to play for and they were fully committed.

"Tannadice has been a difficult ground for us over the last few years.

"United are a good team, especially since Craig Levein has gone there.

"He's done a good job lifting them up and they have found a good level against the Old Firm."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2444411.ece