Fergie�s focus is fixed on double

by Thomas Jordan

BARRY FERGUSON has seven offers on the table to leave Rangers this summer.

But the deposed skipper will shelve all thoughts on his future until after Walter Smith's side bid to win the domestic double is decided.

SportTimes understands that Ferguson has received approaches from clubs in England, Germany and the Middle East as he heads into the final year of his Ibrox deal.

But he has yet to hold any discussions with the Ibrox hierarchy about his long-term future, and this will happen after the Scottish Cup Final against Falkirk on May 30.

advertisement

West Brom have led the way in the efforts to land Ferguson, and he has held talks with Baggies boss Tony Mowbray - but nothing had been decided and he is leaving his options open.

His main focus is getting a starting jersey at Tannadice as Rangers attempt to win the SPL title. And that may well happen after boss Smith organised a closed-doors game with Manchester City on Tuesday at Murray Park in a bid to hone the sharpness of Ferguson, and other players who have been on the periphery.

He played 45 minutes of that bounce match - and Smith is now considering starting him on Sunday because of his vast experience of these situations.

It is believed the Rangers manager and the former skipper held talks last week at which Ferguson made it absolutely clear to his manager he was fully fit, committed and ready to play again if called upon.

To that end, Smith then put him on the bench for the crucial game against Aberdeen last weekend, and the 31-year-old came on for the final half-hour to make his first appearance in seven weeks.

Now, it remains to be seen if Ferguson will start against Dundee United just weeks after it looked as though he would never pull on a Rangers strip again.

Meanwhile, reports in Italy today claim that Lazio are interested in Pedro Mendes. The Serie A side have secured a Europa League place for next season and are on the hunt for new players.

Mendes arrived from Portsmouth last summer for �£3m. He was then the subject of a �£4m offer from Bolton in January, which Rangers rejected.

However, with a big summer of change on the way at Ibrox in terms of personnel, Mendes may well be moved on if a big offer does come in.

Blackpool have confirmed they are still trying to land Charlie Adam - even though they don't have a new manager confirmed for next season.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2509552.0.0.php

Ferguson supposedly played well the other day but it was the Man City youth team which is a bit different from the ever-hungry Utd midfield.

I wouldn't play him but if he were to come in I'd be just as confident in him as I would Mendes or Davis.

I'm sure he wants a big impact swan song and that will probably motivate him to one of his better displays. However, although Mendes has been poor of late, at the wrong time too, I think he'll start. But then I expect Barry to replace him for the last half hour like the Dons game.

Overall I've been disappointed with Mendes whom I feel should have at least been matching the likes of Whittaker for beating players and dancing into the box as well as some great strikes.

If a silly offer came in for him, and we spent all the money on a quality replacement, I wouldn't mind him leaving.

Barry has to go as he's past his Rangers shelf life.

I get a feeling ferguson will play a part in the next 2 games.

Id start him on the bench against Utd but if Mendes or Edu is struggling early i wouldnt be afraid to make a change.

Another option for a change is always pushing Davis inside and playing Fleck or Aaron on the right.

I get a feeling ferguson will play a part in the next 2 games.

Id start him on the bench against Utd but if Mendes or Edu is struggling early i wouldnt be afraid to make a change.

Another option for a change is always pushing Davis inside and playing Fleck or Aaron on the right.

Who'd have imagined though that out of that group of quality, experienced (well most of them) midfielders; Barry Ferguson, Pedro Mendes, Maurice Edu and Steve Davis, that it is the young and relatively inexperienced American that you are most confident about getting a good performance from?

Whilst that is commendable on Edu's part it is a worrying point to consider about our other big players.