RANGERS have lodged an appeal against the red card administered to Madjid Bougherra in Saturday's 2-1 win over Aberdeen.

The Light Blues hope that the decision will be over-turned so that the Algerian defender will be free to play in Sunday's final SPL match of the season at Tannadice when they have the chance to win the Championship.

Bougherra slid in to try to get on the end of a pass by Stevie Whittaker and made contact with Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield.

He was dismissed by referee Stuart Dougal on the advice of assistant Graham Chambers who felt that the Rangers centre back deliberately tried to kick Langfield.

Rangers are hoping that when the incident is looked at again it will be decided that there was no such intent from the Rangers Supporters Player of the Year.

Ally's Appeal Hope

by Lindsay Herron

ALLY McCOIST has high hopes that the SFA will rescind the red card issued to Madjid Bougherra last weekend having studied footage of the incident at great length.

The Rangers assistant manager is firmly of the opinion that Bougherra's challenge on Abrdeen keeper Jamie Langfield was a complete accident.

He told Rangers World: "We must be hopeful that the red card will be rescinded. I have been looking at the incident. We have looked at it in great detail and there is no way, in our opinion, it is a sending off.

"Madjid clearly goes for the ball. We have looked at it from about seven different angles and he definitely goes for the ball.

"Put it this way, with my assistant manager's head on, I would have been very disappointed if he had not gone for the ball.

"The keeper makes a great save and he is very brave. Both players are very committed and we definitely feel it's a very harsh sending off."

McCoist was involved in a much more serious incident of a similar nature when his momentum took him into Theo Snelders at Pittodrie and left the Aberdeen keeper with a fractured cheek bone.

He said: "I was involved an incident like that myself - ironically against Aberdeen. There was a lot of water on the park and I slid in and my momentum took me straight into Theo Snelders and my knee caught him on the face.

"It was a fracture of the cheek bone and it put Theo out for a long time but it was a complete accident.

"So these things do happen on a football field when players go for the ball as they must do."

Edited by Super_Ally
Captions