Lafferty - I'm Sorry

Well Ian it is all about your expenses. Why should the Gersnet pay to have your swimming pool cleaned. :confused::)

My pool is in a terrible state, I'll need to get in new contractors :)

KYLE LAFFERTY’S reputation hit the deck as spectacularly as he did at Ibrox on Saturday.

The shame-filled Rangers striker now knows that in the eyes of many fans he will forever be a CHEAT and a DIVER.

Among the lowest of the low in football terms.

And no matter what he goes on to achieve in his career — he’s on course for a dream Double this term — his crass behaviour which led to Aberdeen full-back Charlie Mulgrew’s red card will forever haunt him.

Yet, somehow, Lafferty is hoping he can still repair the huge damage he has caused to his integrity.

It’s why last night the Ã?£3.25million star gave SunSport the most brutally honest confession of his football life.

Lafferty, 21, said: “I know I’m going to get labelled as a diver and a cheat now. Probably for a long time, maybe the rest of my career.

“But despite what’s happened, that’s definitely NOT me.

“I just want to concentrate on my football, work hard and be the best possible player for Rangers.

“The thing that hurts me the most is what people are obviously now going to be thinking of me.

“But I DESERVE what’s coming my way now.

“I’ve been fined by the club this morning and I understand the SFA are also looking at possible action.

“But I’ll take whatever punishment I get because I deserve it.

“I’m going to be tagged a diver and cheat by some for a while, probably FOREVER.

“But I’m just going to have to take what I get while at the same time look to concentrate on the final two games of the season, the league decider and the Scottish Cup Final.

“In the space of a week it could prove to be the worst and best moments of my career.

“What I did on Saturday was the biggest mistake of my career.

“But winning the league would be without doubt the high point so far.”

Lafferty cringed with the rest of us when he saw his flashpoint with Mulgrew on TV.

And he beat himself up about it.

Why, he repeatedly asked himself, did he fall in such theatrical fashion?

Lafferty can’t provide an answer.

But what he is sure of is he’s got plenty of lost ground to recover for boss Walter Smith and the club.

Advertisement

The ex-Burnley hero — an injury doubt for title D-day with an ankle problem — admitted: “I have a lot of making up to do for the manager and Rangers.

“I hope to be involved against Dundee United on Sunday and if I am I’ll be desperate to get a goal and help the team win to clinch the title.

“To get the goal that wins the championship would be fantastic.

“And it would go some way to repaying the gaffer and the supporters for what happened on Saturday.

“I’m not going to say a goal and a good performance will get me out of it completely. But it’s going to help.

“I’m passionate for Rangers and what I did while wearing the shirt was disrespectful to the club.

“There’s even more reason now for me to go out there on Sunday and play my best.

“I have to try hard for the goal that can bring the title home.

“I’ve learned some really good points from this and it’s important that I pick up on those lessons.

“I can’t afford to ever have a repeat of Saturday.”

Lafferty added: “Winning the league on Sunday would give me the first medal of my career.

“It would be an amazing moment, what I’ve dreamed about as a Rangers supporter.

“It would be the highlight of my career and it would mean even more considering what’s happened.

“Hopefully, everything will end well for me.

“But I badly hope Charlie Mulgrew has his red card wiped out too. He’s due that.

“I’m ashamed of what happened and I deeply regret Charlie’s red card.

“It’s not how I’ve ever gone about things before in my career.

“I don’t have a reputation for diving and cheating, but now my own actions have brought these kind of labels upon me.

“I am angry with myself. Now I know I’m going to get stick wherever I play. The opposition fans will hammer me, I am prepared for that.

“And I’m just going to have to take it because I’ve brought it upon myself.

“It’s going to be a very tough game on Sunday at Tannadice.

“And it will be even tougher for myself with what’s happened. But it’s my own fault.”

Lafferty is also now facing an SFA charge and likely suspension for next season as the review panel studies TV footage of Saturday’s flashpoint.

He added: “I’ve been stunned by the reaction to what happened.

“It was only after the game that I began to fully appreciate how people felt about it.

“When I saw the incident on TV I felt ASHAMED. It’s not something I’m proud of, not at all.

“It was embarrassing and I fully understand the reaction of people in the game and the supporters.

“I know I’m going to get a hefty reception on Sunday and wherever else I go from now on.

“At the end of the day I’m a Rangers player and it’s up to me to return to the standards that a fantastic club like this expects of its players.

“The club’s fined me and I know I deserve it.

“I just want to end the season on a high, not a real downer.

“The last couple of days have been difficult. I’ve been really down. Now I want to move on from this.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2436024.ece

At least our players admit to their indiscretions and failings. At least our club have taken decisive action against him.

How many other SPL teasm can say the same ?

Whilst he does deserve the credit for apologising I think its been forced on him. If it wasnt so blatent i wonder if he would have. Walter and Ally gave him no choice but to say sorry.

But even when its blatent you dont see the Mhanks players even being discussed in the mhedia.