SFA study video footage of Glenn Loovens' challenge

by Ronnie Cully

THE SFA today confirmed they are studying video footage of Glenn Loovens' challenge on Maurice Edu during Saturday's Old Firm game.

If the initial investigation into the incident - which occurred just before half time - throws up evidence that the Celtic defender has a case to answer, the matter will be forwarded to the Video Review Panel.

But this step would only be taken if referee, Craig Thomson, confirmed it was not an incident which he believed he saw and dealt with at the time.

advertisement

Edu fell to the ground when Loovens' appeared to make contact with his left knee after the Dutchman had cleared the ball.

The Rangers midfielder was forced to leave the field for lengthy treatment before returning to complete the match.

Loovens was not one of the six players booked during Saturday's game, and has not been suspended since arriving at Celtic from Cardiff in the summer.

But he now faces an anxious wait to discover if he is about to face retrospective action buy the authorities.

With Stephen McManus already out for the remaining three league games following surgery last week on his damaged knee, and Darren O'Dea limping out of the game at the weekend, Celtic would be stretched to the limit in the central defensive area if they were now to lose Loovens to suspension.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/display.var.2507441.0.0.php

Referee missed it so this is a chance for retrospective action. Open and shut case of violent play so Loovens should be awarded a red card and banned for 3 matches.

I agree Gribz, it should be a red card and he should be pumped back to the English lower leagues for being a nasty, vindictive, horrible, sleaket dim who since pulling on the green and white jersey has adopted the typical persona of a deranged, mixed up, "Celtic man" who tried to ruin a young mans career for apparantly no reason whatsoever.

Horrible big bastard!!!:flipa:

not much to 'study' by the looks of it, open and shut if it actually gets there. if i were the referee i wouldn't want to say that i'd seen it but chose to ignore it.