Gough queries Scots call for Boyd

Does it? Both aren't Scottish! Both were born outwith Scotland.

Sorry, mate. Slapped wrists and all that. Just shows what a farce these nationality rules are. Think Scots should rise above it and play only people born in Scotland OR of Scottish parents. No bloodline, no cap.:)

Does it? Both aren't Scottish! Both were born outwith Scotland.

I think it DOES make a big difference. Having Scottish parents does make you more Scottish in my opinion than if your last lineal relation being Scottish was your grandparent.

I was born in England but of Scottish parents and would ALWAYS consider myself Scottish. But if your parents are not Scottish then I believe that it starts to make a farce of it.

Your parents may never have seen Scotland yet you can represent them. That part I think is farcical.

What if your parents lived in Scotland and were on vacation in the USA and your mother went into labour whilst on holiday ? Should you be prevented from considering yourself Scottish ?

I do see what you are getting at Gav but I don't think it is necessarily so easy to simply say "not born in Scotland, not Scottish".

And wasn't Gough of Scots parentage, not grandparentage - that makes a BIG difference?

I was only stirring it up.

Judge each case on its merits.

Gough born aborad but brought up by Scottish parents as a Scot.

Boyd never been to Scotland til the other night only wants to play because he's got no chance with England.

Completely different imo.

IMO your nationality should be the place of your birth, far more important than your parents or grand parents nationality.....

All about opinions I guess.

But I think the above is far too simplistic.

In my own instance for example, my parents are both Scottish (through and through) and only employment meant that I was born in England. I was also then raised Scottish (through and through) so how does that automatically mean that you shouldn't be considered Scottish ?

I would agree with you for the most part but that is a far too simplistic approach and I don't think you can "broad-brush" it either.

It is simplistic and I realise where you are coming from totally. It's just my opinion but I have no clue as to what the right or wrong is.

I went through years of stick in school because although I was born here, in the same hospital my mam was and her whole side were, we moved down south when I was about 3 for 5 years and I picked up the accent (as a few will be quick to agree on lol).

I was always accused of being English (my dad is) so got ultra defensive when accused of this. Born and bred in the same town as my mam and the whole of her family.

As I say, I dont think there is a right or wrong, and the situation you were in I would class myself as Scottish too. The only argument about this is being born elsewhere.

No offence meant, just my opinions influenced bty personal experiences over the last 30+ years

It is simplistic and I realise where you are coming from totally. It's just my opinion but I have no clue as to what the right or wrong is.

I went through years of stick in school because although I was born here, in the same hospital my mam was and her whole side were, we moved down south when I was about 3 for 5 years and I picked up the accent (as a few will be quick to agree on lol).

I was always accused of being English (my dad is) so got ultra defensive when accused of this. Born and bred in the same town as my mam and the whole of her family.

As I say, I dont think there is a right or wrong, and the situation you were in I would class myself as Scottish too. The only argument about this is being born elsewhere.

No offence meant, just my opinions influenced bty personal experiences over the last 30+ years

No offence taken Jon, none at all. That was my point, it is something which you either apply very simplistically (as you did) or you make it convoluted (which FIFA have done).

I think that at the parent level it should be fine (when you look at my own instance it makes logical sense, at least for me) because there are extenuating circumstances as to why you werent born in Scotland. But when neither parent was born in Scotland then I find it a bit harder to believe that they were brought up Scottish.

Now, in saying that, it isnt to say that they werent as it could very well be the case that the parents, whilst not being born in Scotland, were brought up to be fiercely Scottish (again..... I can see this happening with my 4yr old - we dont intend on moving back to Scotland anytime soon - so when he gets his first international call-up (aye right...) then he has not been born in Scotland, neither have his parents (both the Mrs and I were born in England) so we would have to go to grand-parents...... yet my 4yr old will DEFINITELY be brought up to be proud of being Scottish.

See, I have now given a real-life example of where I personally think that we should go to grand-parents - yet I am against it in general.

See how convoluted this gets ?

Maybe your simplistic version is the best way forward Jon !