Gough queries Scots call for Boyd

Richard Gough believes Englishman George Boyd should not be given the chance to play for Scotland.

The former Scotland skipper, capped 61 times, was born in Stockholm with a Scottish father and Swedish mother, then brought up in South Africa.

But he said: "I think it should go back one generation. I think your grandfather is taking it a bit far."

Peterborough winger Boyd, from Chatham in Kent, is eligible through his Motherwell-born grandfather.

But the 23-year-old had not set foot in Scotland until Tuesday when he turned up to meet his Scotland team-mates ahead of the B international with Northern Ireland at Broadwood.

"I'm a good one to ask about that seeing that I was born in Sweden," added Gough, who had spells with Dundee United, Tottenham and Rangers.

"But my father would have shot me if I had played for Sweden.

"I came to Scotland at 15 or 16, I grew up as a Rangers fan and the Scottish thing was ingrained in me.

"If you go back more than one generation, you get into that Irish thing of having a pint of Guinness and you can play, like they did.

"They did have a decent team when they did that but I think it is taking it too far.

"It's not, 'I'm only playing for Scotland because England hasn't picked me' sort of thing - I don't think that's right."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8036587.stm

I agree here, one generation it should be.

I like his Guinness quote :whistle:

The RoI are a joke team and they nicked two of our players - McGreedy and McCarthy - under that dubious rule. So we really play into their hands if we do the same. The SFA should make sure that never again can plastic paddies do the dirty on us.

The SFA are also a joke so unless we have changes there it will keep happening!!

I read that this morning and burst out laughing....Is he making it up about Guinness or is there a past joke to this??

Quality stuff by Gough

The pint of guinness thing is an old-standing joke about representing RoI