KYLE LAFFERTY is expecting a tough match when Celtic come calling on Saturday, but the Northern Ireland man is desperate to play his part in what he describes as the biggest game of the season.

Kyle Lafferty celebrates scoring against HeartsThe 21-year-old returned to the top team as a substitute against Hearts last weekend and is now battling for a place in Walter Smith's starting eleven for this weekend's title showdown.

Lafferty has yet to come out of an Old Firm meeting on the winning side, having missed the 4-2 victory in August, but he says the squad have been unlucky in recent matches with their rivals.

He said: "It's going to be a hard game because Celtic are a good team but I think if we go about it in the right manner we'll be ok.

"We have to have the heart for this game because it's one of the biggest of the season. Top spot is up for grabs and everybody is looking forward to it.

"I think in most of the games this season we have had our fair share of the ball and have caused them some problems.

"But in games like this one a team can go out and play like that and not get the win. That can happen and then maybe you don't play at your best but nick one.

Kyle Lafferty"It can come down to which team has more heart and more determination, so it should be an interesting one."

The young forward has fared well personally in his Old Firm battles, having been handed a lone striker's role at Parkhead and made life difficult for Andreas Hinkel in the League Cup final.

Now he his hoping to leave the collective disappointment of that game behind him - by hitting the net against Celtic and firing Rangers toward the SPL title.

He added: "No disrespect to the cup, but I think it's obvious that everyone wants to win the league title so I think this one is massive - by far the biggest game of the season for us.

Kyle Lafferty celebrates his goal against Hearts"There's a lot at stake but whoever loses won't be finished for the season. After the Old Firm game there are three very tough games for both sides so there could be a few twists still to come in the league.

"Personally I've just enjoyed being out there. Everyone wants to play against the best teams and Celtic are one of the best in the league and as a young player I just want to experience that again.

"It was good to play up front too and it was a real boost that the gaffer gave me that role and showed he had confidence in me to play that position.

"If I get the same chance again I just have to give it my all and hopefully come out on the winning side this time.

"Hopefully I can get myself back in there and get the goals that will win us the title."