Forgotten man Webster primed to join Rangers' run-in

ANDY Webster could be the latest player to step out of the shadows and play a part in the championship run-in for Rangers this weekend.

The former Hearts and Scotland central defender successfully continued his rehabilitation from his latest injury problem when he played the full 90 minutes of yesterday's Old Firm reserve derby at Ibrox.

Webster has not made a single first team appearance for Rangers this season and started just two matches during a loan spell at Bristol City, but assistant manager Ally McCoist last week hinted he could be involved in the closing weeks of the campaign.

Rangers have been hampered in recent weeks by injuries to defenders Kirk Broadfoot and Sasa Papac, while Madjid Bougherra is suspended for Sunday's first post-split SPL fixture against Hearts at Ibrox.

Webster is now a candidate to replace Bougherra as David Weir's central defensive partner, according to Rangers reserve team coach Tommy Wilson: "Andy has played for the last two months or so in the reserves, and he is now looking more like the player I remember playing for Hearts and Scotland.

"He is fitter, stronger and has got over the injury issues he had. The function of the reserve team is to facilitate the first team, and that's what we have done in recent weeks with Christian Dailly, Andrius Velika and Stevie Smith making a contribution in the SPL title race and Scottish Cup."

Steven Naismith added to Rangers' injury concerns yesterday when he limped out of the 1-0 defeat to Celtic with a calf problem after 55 minutes.

Despite his disappointment at seeing Celtic clinch the reserve title at Ibrox, Wilson praised his squad for their efforts this season.

"With so many of our players going out on loan, this season has exceeded my expectations," he said. "Celtic devote a lot of resources to their reserve team, so for us to challenge them for so long is a credit to the players here.

"This was our toughest game of the season and it couldn't have come at a worse time, coinciding with the Youth Cup final on Wednesday night and an injury crisis at the club.

"We took the decision to leave out most of the under-19 squad, as the final at Hampden against Hibs is the showcase for Scottish youth football. So we had seven under-17s in our squad today, and three of the back four were making their first starts for the reserve team. It's not nice for us to see Celtic celebrating at Ibrox, but they have not won the reserve league title so often for nothing."

Published Date: 29 April 2009

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Forgotten-man-Webster-primed-to.5214801.jp

"Celtic devote a lot of resources to their reserve team, so for us to challenge them for so long is a credit to the players here.

Not sure what he means by that quote ?

Webster is one player I think most Rangers fans would like to see getting fit and playing like we all know he can,let's hope he is injury free and can start showing his worth

"Celtic devote a lot of resources to their reserve team, so for us to challenge them for so long is a credit to the players here.

I think they have it as more of a priority than us Ian, i.e. take it more seriously. We had 7 players from our under 17s squad and 3 of the back 4 making the reserve debuts. I know it's mainly down to the under 19s being in the cup final but I doubt they would do the same.

The youth teams and first team are much more important than the reserve team IMO.

that one stuck out for me too. wonder what he means.

eta: scrap that, read johnny's post. he must mean that reserves are for getting first team players fit. you think, though, that the chance to keep against teams at a higher level would get more of the youngsters playing there more quickly.

Celtic play a lot of first team squad players, while we play a lot of under 19's.

I've read that a lot. Yet recently I don't see much evidence of it.

Yesterday we had McGregor, Webster and Naismith with lots of first team football (not necessarily at Rangers) and then Fleck with some experience. Maybe a few more.

They had very few with first team experience as far as I remember.

Guest WeeArra

"Webster has not made a single first team appearance for Rangers this season "

Has he ever made a first team appearance?

PS, if he has, who against and what was the score?:)

He played against Gretna, scored and got MOM

Played Gretna but I don't remember the result.

Edit: Ian just beat me too it.