Last Transfer you were genuinley excited about ?

Mikel Arteta ffs!

Can't believe no one has mentioned him in this thread. I remember scouting him myself, along with the gers scouts, on the telly against PSG. He was simply teriffic in that game, easily outshining Ronaldinho and the other outstanding youngsters PSG had at the time. (and our own prodigy who was brilliant at that time)

He signed for us that summer and went on to score in his first game against the scum en route to a glorious treble against st.martin's glorious losers.

And look at him now. He was lighting up every Premiership game he played in this season before the Ibrox knee curse finally claimed him.

Also I was excited about Boumsong. Everyone likes a big black centre back, no?

Edit: I didn't include Gazza, Laudrup, Boli (that was massive at the time), Thern etc cos the thread is about the LAST player I was genuinely excited about signing, not the players that I have been excited about signing in general.

Edited by Cotter

I don't think there was as much excitement about Laudrup as many remember. We'd just narrowly missed out on the CL final and he was a perpetual bench-warmer for Milan who was farmed out to Fiortina.

People were excited but not THAT excited and in fact, the CL winner, Boli stole most of the headlines.

Laudrup was a revelation that was not really anticipated by most.

For Gazza, again I think there is some rose tinted memories, many fans thought he was passed it and also his temperament was considered a liability.

Hateley came to a luke warm reception and was booed for about a year.

McCoist was considered a bit of a failure at Sunderland.

Cannigia came from Dundee and so you can imagine the sentiments.

Prso was a bosman and although considered to have potential, I don't remember THAT much excitement. Those who went to the Fulham game were probably excited after his immense bicycle kick goal though.

The last players I was excited by their arrivals were Mendes and Thomson before that. I was also very keen to see what Cuellar would be like as he had great write-ups.

That's largely how I remember it as well. Laudrup wasn't welcomed that greatly. It was only once he started playing that people got excited.

Gazza was slightly different. There was a buzz of excitement, but he had been injured a lot and there was also a great deal of uncertainty.

I'd say the resentment of Hateley only lasted 6 months. He'd turned most people around by Christmas.

Prso was looked upon with some scepticism. Was he only a one game wonder, after his CL performance (a bit like Salenko)?

Cannigia was doing well for Dundee, but it was Dundee.

Out of all of them Gazza was probably the only one that I had genuine excitment over, but there were still doubts over his fitness.

Other players that I was excited about us buying that ended up being relative flops were Kuznetzov and Rozental.

Has to be Ferguson for me. We really struggled to replace him while he was at Blackburn and I have to admit I was delighted to see him return.

Although we've signed a few really good players since then, I'd say none of them were anything to get excited about at time of arrival. The likes of Cuellar, Thomson, Bougherra & Mendes all had to prove themselves worthy.

As for Cannigia, imo we made a mistake letting him go. He did a really good job for us and I think we could easily have got another year out of him.

Edited by UCF2008

You mention under-whelming excitement at all those players and then mention Thomson ??? There was very little excitement over Thomson's signing IIRC.

I didn't say there was a lot of excitement just that I thought it was an exciting signing and at the time there was a lot of hype about both Brown and Thomson coming but perhaps it was mostly about Brown.

The point was that I think some people are now retrospectively excited when at the time the reality was that we have a mentality at Rangers where we talk players down all the time.

The biggest collective excitement I remember was for Jardel and Rosental. Butcher was also a big one as was Numan for some, and RdB goes without saying.

Mendes I will give you though.

Yay, I'm not the only one.

Asides, the question was aimed at a personal level, not collective. Personally I was VERY excited at the thought of Gazza playing for us.

I was a bit excited but less so than other player, as were many others, as he came under a bit of a cloud.

Actually, probably the biggest collective excitement over a signing in the past few years has been.......... Scott Brown !!!

Probably...

Ronald De Boer for me and to be honest when we signed Frank after that and had the De Boer twins. Remember watching those guys at Barca and Ajax and thinking 'if only' and the they were at Ibrox. Changed days - now it's Stephen Hughs and Andy Doram - exciting? Don't think so:confused:

Frank de Boer was a temp signing for a few months and so there was little excitement about him. He was good but in that stage of his career and general motivation, was no better than Berg at the time, whom he displaced from the team.

The ONLY reason he signed was to play with his twin brother before they both moved to the middle east, and he was on peanuts.

As for signing the like of Ronald, it might be changed days at Ibrox but as I've been continually pointing out, that's mostly because of the phenomenal TV income in England as well as a false sense of riches we had when we were criminally overspending.

Spending will never be as exciting as the time you almost spend yourself into oblivion, and to me it's a bit silly not to put that into perspective.

Changed days indeed. If we didn't change them the change would not be having Rangers around at all. Sometimes it seems that some people are unhappy we didn't go down that route...

The ironic thing is that it's that we're partly paying for that spending now, which is why there is not much to get excited about. Some people just don't seem to get that.

It's just seems weird for people to look misty eyed at the big spending credit boom that caused the current bust.

I can't imagine how these same people could have survived the pre-Souness days. It must have been soooo boring.

Has to be Ferguson for me. We really struggled to replace him while he was at Blackburn and I have to admit I was delighted to see him return.

Although we've signed a few really good players since then, I'd say none of them were anything to get excited about at time of arrival. The likes of Cuellar, Thomson, Bougherra & Mendes all had to prove themselves worthy.

As for Cannigia, imo we made a mistake letting him go. He did a really good job for us and I think we could easily have got another year out of him.

Latapy too... and Arveladze - playing up front of course.

Never knew why we sold Tugay either.

Last signing you were genuinely excited about. And we're all telling each other that we are wrong because there wasn;t a collective exctiment. :confused:

We all need to go back and read the thread.

UCF, I didn;t even think of Fergie as a signing for some reason. But thinking about it now, that would be my answer too. Interviewed by STV outside the Rangers shop on Sauchiehall street the day he re-signed. :D

Perhaps someone should start another thread that's kind of a polar opposite. The signing you were least impressed by who completely changed your view with their contribution.