By Andrew Dickson

NEIL ALEXANDER will use his spell on the sidelines as motivation as he bids to make himself Rangers' number one goalkeeper in the long term.

Neil AlexanderThe former Cardiff City star is in possession of the gloves at present, having started the Light Blues' last four games.

So far he seems to have been something of a good omen and in each of the seven first-team games he has featured in this season, Gers have emerged triumphant.

The 31-year-old took over from Allan McGregor after he was suspended by the club for his actions while he was representing Scotland.

Alexander has spent much of this season living in his colleague's shadow and admits doing so has been more difficult than he thought.

But now that he has been given an opportunity by Walter Smith, he's determined to grab it with both hands.

"It has been very difficult being number two if I'm honest," Alexander said. "You sit there, analyse every game and see the good, bad and the ugly from the bench.

"Not being involved is hard and sometimes you wonder why you're here when you could be away somewhere else playing every week.

"I love it here, though, and Rangers are a fantastic football club. I'm very happy here and I'm very fortunate to be at Ibrox.

Neil Alexander"At the moment, I'm just getting my head down and seeing what it brings and obviously, with Allan being out of the team just now, I'm getting a chance.

"If I do well over the next few weeks, hopefully that will set me up nicely for next season and give me the opportunity to have an extended run in the side."

Alexander has been unlucky not to play a bigger part in Rangers' campaign. When he was last in the team in September he did little wrong but was dropped after three games.

Looking back, he accepts the reasons for that but is keen to put it behind him and make up for his absence with title SPL success.

"I understand why the manager put Allan back in the team a few months ago," Alexander added. "He spoke to me about it when he made his decision and I appreciated that.

"He tried to protect me and while it was disappointing to come out of the team, I think he wanted me to step down on a high.

"I realise he wanted that rather than for me to go back to the bench on a low with the fans on my back after I'd made a mistake that had cost us or whatever.

Neil Alexander"Because he did that, my confidence was still high in training every day and the supporters kept a good opinion of me.

"In that respect, I don't have too many problems with what happened but you clearly want to play and I'm no different to anyone else.

"I want to be in the team and think I should be playing but I know why things panned out the way they did and Allan was in fantastic form when he was recalled.

"Due to circumstances, he's now out of the side again and I've got another chance so it's important I make the most of it.

"As I've been on the bench for so long, it's going to take me three or four games just to get match fit again and get my eye in.

"But hopefully I can go to do well and have a sustained period in the team that brings us some silverware."