For alex:

206eas0.jpg

When Viduka won it, we won the league by 21 points.

Di Canio won it the year we sealed niar. In fact during niar we won it only 5 out of 9 times.

We all know about the Hartson/Ricksen farce. In the papers the press had been pushing Sutton (I think) all year. When they realised Ricksen was the clear choice, Hartson appeared from nowhere for a tie. (Yes I realise this is the Player's award, but surely there is some agreement between what the sport's writer's have printed and what the players view).

Observations on Players POTY:

1) Poor distribution. Based on performances for Scotland and the Celtic games I see each season (thought I admit to missing some). Pretty criminal for a central midfielder who struggles to find a team mate.

2) Assists. Not one of the 12 listed in the SPL's website . Nakamura leads the way on 9, Driver and Davis are two of the players tied for second with 7. Caley's Dougie Imrie, Aberdeen's Charlie Mulgrew and Killie's Mehdi Taouil are even listed with 5 or 6.

3) Goals. 5 League goals this season. An unimpressive return, particularly for a team who routinely competes at the top of the league. 2 of these goals came in the 7-0 victory over St Mirren who embarrassed themselves and the SPL that day. Andy Dorman of St Mirren has 8 league goals and 2 more in the cup this season for a side that have struggled all season long at the bottom of the table.

4) Defensive contribution. Seeing as his goals and assists are none to impressive for a team currently topping the goal scoring charts, perhaps his nomination is for his defensive abilities? He lacks positional sense charging around the field like a bull to a red flag when he sees the ball. Leaving gaps and space to be exploited. He puts in more than his fair share of tackles. But gives away too many fouls as evidenced by the fact he has gone over the points threshold and will be missing the key post-split Old Firm fixture.

So on what other basis has he apparently romped the Players award?

Did anyone see the STV news at 6pm? The main sport feature was about the POTY and a journalist asked Mendes "Did you miss both players?"

Mendes replied "No, I only miss my wife."

Quality response!