theres a 10k run in glasgow on the 10th and it could lead to problems having an old firm match on the same weekend.

Also scott brown would be suspended for that match while bougherra would have served his ban.

Exclusive by Thomas Jordan

SPL plans over the date for the final Old Firm game of the season have been thrown into disarray.

Rangers were expected to entertain rivals Celtic at Ibrox in the first match after the split - but police chiefs are blocking those proposals because the fixture would land on the May bank holiday weekend.

Troubled flared around the city the last time that was the case, so that has ruled out the game taking place on either May 2 or 3.

That now means the match will have to go ahead in the second round of fixtures, and that card will also bring its own problems.

advertisement

On Sunday, May 10, the Glasgow Women's 10k will take place with the finishing line in Bellahouston Park - just a few hundred yards from Ibrox stadium.

With 12,000 runners taking part in the event - which forces the closure of roads and takes up a vast amount of police resources - it means it is impossible for the match to take place on that Sunday.

So that leaves SPL chiefs with only Saturday, May 9, to stage the game. As things stand, there is still the danger that could be a possible title decider - something the SPL and police chiefs have vowed would never be allowed to happen again.

If Rangers were to lose to Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday, and also their first fixture after the split, it would mean Celtic could secure the title with a win at Ibrox if they also manage to win their previous two league fixtures.

SPL chiefs are currently involved in discussions with police but are running out of options, with the post-split fixtures set to be announced a week today.

An SPL insider revealed: "It has turned out to be a bit of a nightmare as to when to stage the final Old Firm game of the season.

"The police have blocked the game taking place on the May bank holiday weekend to avoid trouble.

"So that has effectively ruled out the game taking place the first game after the split, which would have been our preferred option."

If the match does take place the second game after the split, it would mean Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra would be available to play in the Ibrox showdown.

The stopper will serve a one-match ban which rules him out of the first game after the split.

Rangers manager Walter Smith feared he would be without one of his best players for their most important game of the season.

But unfortunately for Celtic, Scott Brown seems likely to miss the Old Firm game regardless because he has a two-match suspension which rules him out of the first and second round of fixtures after the split.

Exclusive by Neil Smith

MADJID BOUGHERRA is desperately hoping SPL bosses do NOT schedule the final Old Firm game of the season for the first weekend after the split.

The towering defender has already been ruled out of two Celtic clashes this season, including the League Cup final at Hampden, because of injury.

An unfortunate yellow card at Paisley last week means he will serve a one-match ban on the weekend of May 2/3.

And the Algerian star hopes that the Ibrox visit of the Parkhead men will be scheduled after this so he can play.

He said: "After the St. Mirren game I did not know how many yellow cards I had but after the match I was concerned.

"I do not know why it takes two weeks for a suspension to kick in but when I found out it could be against Celtic I could not believe it.

"I went to my house and said to my family that I could miss Celtic and they could not believe it either.

"Missing the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final last month was a big blow for me.

"I waited for this final for a long time but, unfortunately, being injured is part of football.

"I was in the stadium with my family and it was the second time they have come to see me play against Celtic and I haven't played.

"When I saw the team after the game I was so disappointed I could not have helped them."

Edited by Super_Ally
Captions