Does WHittaker deserve a call up? :confused:

Whats the alternatives as far as Scotland are concerned though SA? I don't rate Whittaker myself and he wouldn't be in any Rangers team for me, but I don't think there is great choice as far as Scotland are concerned. HGraham Alexander is about the only one I can think of and he must be in his late 30's by now because he seems to have been around forever:whistle:

Whats the alternatives as far as Scotland are concerned though SA? I don't rate Whittaker myself and he wouldn't be in any Rangers team for me, but I don't think there is great choice as far as Scotland are concerned. HGraham Alexander is about the only one I can think of and he must be in his late 30's by now because he seems to have been around forever:whistle:

I think he's been called up because he plays for Rangers.

I rate Whittaker. I think he was very Hutton-esque before we bought him. His confidence is shot right now though. He played reasonably well in a recent game, but surely it needs a run of games playing well to get into the national squad.

I'm not sure there are better alternatives, but maybe a so called lesser player who has been playing week in week out for say Aberdeen of Dundee United is more deserving.

Its like when England squads are made up of big 4 players regardless of form/ability.

by Ronnie Cully

ALLAN McGREGOR was today confirmed as the keeper who will face Holland in the Amsterdam ArenA on Saturday.

But former Rangers team-mate Alan Hutton will have to sit out the World Cup qualifier after national team boss George Burley decided he needed more time to regain full fitness.

The Spurs full back will be monitored over the weekend and will be included in the line up to face Iceland a week tonight if he proves he is fully up to speed.

Burley has not given up hope of having Stephen McManus available for Saturday's test against the Dutch and reported that the Celtic defender is recovering from his ankle injury much quicker than anyone had anticipated when he limped into the team's HQ on Monday. But he is still rated at less than 50% for the weekend.

advertisement

Skipper Barry Ferguson will be fit to face Holland, however, after scans on his damaged rib confirmed there was no serious damage.

And Kenny Miller continues to train, having assured Burley that his hamstring problem would not prevent him leading the line in Amsterdam.

With the withdrawal of Paul Hartley late last night after he sustained a hamstring strain in training, Burley's squad has been reduced to just 23 men.

But the manager has no plans at present to add any more players after calling up Rangers' Steven Whittaker yesterday.

Burley explained the reasoning behind his decision to announce who had won the battle of the gloves between McGregor and Craig Gordon.

The Rangers keeper gets the nod because his Sunderland counterpart has not played a first-team game since November.

But Burley indicated it was still a tough call and said: "There has been a lot of speculation and I had a chat with both keepers yesterday.

"Craig has had the No.1 spot since I took over, and before that. But we are going to start with Allan McGregor basically because Craig has not been playing first-team football.

"Craig is a magnificent keeper, but Allan came in against Argentina and did well. He has been playing very consistently for Rangers this season. He had great experience last season, getting to a Uefa Cup Final.

"Craig understood my decision. Allan is very excited at the prospect and I think it was important to make that decision now rather than leave it until later."

Burley also felt the need to make an early call on Hutton, but revealed the defender - who played his first game for four months in a reserve run out on Monday - was less understanding about being left out this weekend.

The manager said: "When I told him he was not going to play in Holland he asked me , Why not!' "I had my scout at the game on Monday when Alan played 71 minutes and did very well.

"He looked lively and bright and has done a lot of rehab.

"He will now be working hard with our physios, doing extra over the next few days.

"We will monitor him and he will definitely be under consideration for the Iceland game.

"There is no doubt a fit Alan Hutton would be a big bonus for us. He has show that, when he is right, he would get into most international sides.

"He is desperate to play. We will look to push on with his fitness to play against Iceland."