By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST reckons Sunday's Old Firm final will prove the League Cup is still as big as ever.

Ally McCoist and Walter SmithSince the European place that went to the winners of the event was taken away in the pre-SPL era, a string of critics have questioned the competition's worth.

But McCoist certainly hasn't joined in and after enjoying so many memorable victories in the tournament over the years, it holds a very special place in his heart.

He has won it no less than nine times, with his goals making a difference in four different finals.

And with Rangers and Celtic set to clash for this year's prize, McCoist reckons a hugely important game is in prospect.

He said: "The League Cup was a wonderful competition for me and I always felt I was really lucky to do so well in it.

"All these years on, even though there's no European place attached to it any more, I still believe it's a massive tournament.

"There are plenty of people out there who will be negative about it but I don't understand how they can do that. I'd never rubbish it.

Ally McCoist"It's an event that effectively sets you off on your season and it's the first domestic trophy up for grabs in Scotland.

"I would never, ever underestimate it. Look at clubs who have won it recently such as Hibernian and Livingston.

"The League Cup gives fans of those clubs a real opportunity to get to Hampden and see their club pick up silverware.

"Looking at this particular final, it would be a massive match if Rangers played Celtic at tiddlywinks. That goes without saying and the game coming up will be huge for us all.

"I think this is a fantastic tournament - it has been ever since it started and long may it continue."

The European place is irrelevant for this year's final.

I've always preferred the competition when it finished before Christmas as it could give you something to cheer early on just as the league settles down and becomes a bit humdrum with the end a long way, away.

It also rewarded teams who play well in the first half of the season.

Now going from a crucial league game, to a cup quarter final, to a final, it kind of gets a bit lost and the only reason it still has interest is that it's an OF final. You just have to look at the gates for the semis to see what a mistake it is dragging it into the "spring".

The European place is irrelevant for this year's final.

I've always preferred the competition when it finished before Christmas as it could give you something to cheer early on just as the league settles down and becomes a bit humdrum with the end a long way, away.

It also rewarded teams who play well in the first half of the season.

Now going from a crucial league game, to a cup quarter final, to a final, it kind of gets a bit lost and the only reason it still has interest is that it's an OF final. You just have to look at the gates for the semis to see what a mistake it is dragging it into the "spring".

Totally agree. It was far more exciting when the rounds came thick and fast and the final was played around October. Stretching four games out from September to March takes the shine off things somewhat.

I still have a lot of time for the League Cup though, and while it's behind the Scottish Cup in terms of prestige and perhaps importance, it's a trophy I love to win and one I'm always disappointed at missing out on when we lose. Past experience tells me that those who deride it as a 'diddy' cup are more often than not tims speaking after being knocked out...

Totally agree. It was far more exciting when the rounds came thick and fast and the final was played around October. Stretching four games out from September to March takes the shine off things somewhat.

I still have a lot of time for the League Cup though, and while it's behind the Scottish Cup in terms of prestige and perhaps importance, it's a trophy I love to win and one I'm always disappointed at missing out on when we lose. Past experience tells me that those who deride it as a 'diddy' cup are more often than not tims speaking after being knocked out...

I want us to win every competition we enter.

The League followed by the SFA Cup give the bigger bragging rights, but silverware is silverware, particularly when it's the mhanky mhob in the final. :rfc:

I want us to win every competition we enter.

The League followed by the SFA Cup give the bigger bragging rights, but silverware is silverware, particularly when it's the mhanky mhob in the final. :rfc:

I actually cherished the League Cup more than the Scottish Cup last year, given the epic nature of the final against a horrible club managed by the odious Lhevein. As for the Scottish Cup, it was just a shame the supposed end-of-season showpiece came down to "Well thank fuck that's over".

I actually cherished the League Cup more than the Scottish Cup last year, given the epic nature of the final against a horrible club managed by the odious Lhevein. As for the Scottish Cup, it was just a shame the supposed end-of-season showpiece came down to "Well thank fuck that's over".

That pretty much sums that season up. Though obviously normally the SFACup is a bigger deal.

I agree that there is a bit more excitement in the League cup precisely because it's before the league finishes. The Scottish cup gets drowned out by the climax to the league - especially when it is close. It's a nice icing on the cake if we win the league but it's never all that rewarding if we come second.

The league cup final is (hopefully) well before the league run in and so can be enjoyed for itself - which is precisely why the earlier it is the better.

For me, the two cups are totally irrelevant. I hope we win and it would certainly hurt to get beat on Sunday but in the greater scheme of things only the league counts for anything this season.

If we win the league the season is a success but if we don't then it will mean a complete disaster for seasons to come.

For me, the two cups are totally irrelevant. I hope we win and it would certainly hurt to get beat on Sunday but in the greater scheme of things only the league counts for anything this season.

If we win the league the season is a success but if we don't then it will mean a complete disaster for seasons to come.

The results of this weekend's game could have huge implications on the league's destinantion this year though.

Agree fully, the money from the CL makes winning the league imperative.