Boyd out of cup final after bust-up with Walter

Not the press's fault. Our top scorer gets sent home and has to apologise for his attitude? That's major news.

The blame has to be Boyd's.

There was no need to make major news of it though. A quiet word in Boyd's ear

about his attitude in relation to his chances of playing in the OF cup final could have seen him apologise privately & get his head down for some hard work. Obviously the news was supposed to get out & be some sort of cooked up, but half baked 'major story'.

There was no need to make major news of it though. A quiet word in Boyd's ear

about his attitude in relation to his chances of playing in the OF cup final could have seen him apologise privately & get his head down for some hard work. Obviously the news was supposed to get out & be some sort of cooked up, but half baked 'major story'.

If a quiet word was all that it took then I'm sure that would have been done and has already been tried on numerous occasions. Boyd obviously needed a major kick up his backside.

If a quiet word was all that it took then I'm sure that would have been done and has already been tried on numerous occasions. Boyd obviously needed a major kick up his backside.

Well, if that's really the case, then we may well not even see him on the bench never mind the starting line-up for this cup final.

Agreed. One thing you can't fault Smith for is his man management. Boyd will have required this kick up the arse, though that shouldn't be the case.

Agreed. One thing you can't fault Smith for is his man management. Boyd will have required this kick up the arse, though that shouldn't be the case.

Either an impressive display of irony or you've just received secret information the rest of the world has been denied.

Gonnae share this breaking news with the rest of us? :)

Either an impressive display of irony or you've just received secret information the rest of the world has been denied.

Gonnae share this breaking news with the rest of us? :)

Do you not think in general his players are pretty happy under him and tend to fight for him and the team?

^ i think they do. walter smith's demeanour is such that it demands (and gets, though not-much-else-other-than) personal respect. he's not inspiring, i dont think. but i reckon the players respect him.

Do you not think in general his players are pretty happy under him and tend to fight for him and the team?

Now "happy" is such a difficult word to tie down and probably fairly meaningless. I know players who were happy to hide and draw their wages every week but contributed fark all.

Do they tend to fight for him. No, I really don't think they do - there have been far too many times over the last two years when it's been glaringly obvious that many of them, perhaps the majority really, just don't. Do you actually have evidence to the contrary or it this just optimistic wishful thinking before an old firm final?

As has already been said, Smith may be many things but inspiring has never been one of them. At least not outside reports on Rangers TV or in the Rangers News. To get players to fight for you, you must first inspire.