Big Jock Never Knew.......Says Alan Brazil

TALKSPORT host Alan Brazil is giving me growlers because I dared to order a soft drink in the pub.

Well, it had just gone 10am.

ââ?¬Å?Not in my company, pal,ââ?¬Â snarls the ex-Scotland star as he kicks off another of his famous bleary-eyed benders...

We meet in The Three Lords pub on the edge of London�s east end.

It�s wasn�t open yet, but Alan knew a side door.

The joint is owned by former boxer Mickey Quinn and is already full of shady-looking characters, with bent noses and missing teeth � Alan feels right at home.

Its walls are adorned with photos of celebs and scrappers from yesteryear, including Brazil�s big bald head.

Cockney owner Mickey says: ââ?¬Å?We had to have Alââ?¬â?¢s picture in black and white because his face was so red ââ?¬â? it was ââ?¬Ë?orrible.ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?Aye,ââ?¬Â Brazil concedes ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢d been on holiday and was pretty sunburnt.ââ?¬Â

Alan has just come from TalkSPORT where he broadcasts to 1.1million listeners across the country every morning.

He�s exactly the same off-air as he is on it � opinionated, funny and a right good drinking buddy.

Itââ?¬â?¢s his 10th year fronting the breakfast show, give or take one or two dismissals for failing to turn up ââ?¬Å?cos I was p***ed.ââ?¬Â

He says: ââ?¬Å?When I was offered the breakfast slot I said, ââ?¬Ë?I couldnââ?¬â?¢t get up for 10am football training, never mind start a radio show at 6am.ââ?¬â?¢

ââ?¬Å?But somehow Iââ?¬â?¢ve managed it.ââ?¬Â

The Scot has arguably the best job in the country, talking football with punters on the show then off to the pub followed by a match or a function.

Freefall

Alan admits: ââ?¬Å?I am out every night of the week ââ?¬â? without fail.

ââ?¬Å?I was once asked if I have a drink problem. My reply was ââ?¬Ë?Nah, Iââ?¬â?¢m just from Glasgowââ?¬â?¢.

ââ?¬Å?But every January the bosses send me to a health farm for a detox ââ?¬â? I just get bladdered instead.ââ?¬Â

Itâ��s reported he also gets paid �£200,000 a year for the privilege.

Brazil smiles: ââ?¬Å?Aye, and the rest.ââ?¬Â

Me: ââ?¬Å?Ã?£300,000?ââ?¬Â

He says: ââ?¬Å?Nah, more than that, but Iââ?¬â?¢m not a bragger.

ââ?¬Å?But I earn more now than I ever did as a player.ââ?¬Â

Brazil is worth it. They say no player is bigger than the club, but not in his case.

When he was bulleted after going AWOL at Cheltenham Races in 2004, station bosses simply had to bring him back after listener figures went into freefall.

Alan returns to the scene of the crime next week for the Gold Cup.

He winks: ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ll be on my best behaviour. Actually, thatââ?¬â?¢s a lie, itââ?¬â?¢ll be business as usual.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m fined Ã?£5,000 now for every show I miss and everyone calls me ââ?¬Ë?Sick Noteââ?¬â?¢.

ââ?¬Å?But Iââ?¬â?¢ve only had to pay them back Ã?£15,000... so far.ââ?¬Â

Brazil is from that glorious era when Scotland produced a host of top players starring in England.

His main side was Ipswich Town, winning the UEFA Cup with the unfashionable club in 1981.

The striker also turned out for Spurs and Manchester Utd, earning 13 caps for Scotland.

At 21 he was the youngest member of the national squad at the World Cup Finals in Spain 1982.

Pints for breakfast

His glittering career was sadly cut short due to a back injury at just 27 years old.

He hasn�t aged well. Brazil�s only 49 now but looks at least 10 years older � hardly surprising with his drinking schedule.

But the team he always dreamed of playing for was Celtic.

Alan, who grew up in Simshill in the shadow of Hampden Park, turned out for Celtic Boysââ?¬â?¢ Club. He said: ââ?¬Å?I scored 62 goals in my last year at the boysââ?¬â?¢ club ââ?¬â? that has to merit getting a chance for Celtic.

ââ?¬Å?Maybe Big Jock Stein just didnââ?¬â?¢t fancy me ââ?¬â? but then he picked me for the World Cup in ââ?¬Ë?82, so it doesnââ?¬â?¢t make sense.

ââ?¬Å?Whether the problem I had with Celtic Boysââ?¬â?¢ Club prevented me from signing with Celtic I donââ?¬â?¢t know.ââ?¬Â

Pervert

That problem was pervert general manager Jim Torbett.

His crimes became public in 1996 when Brazil revealed he had been molested at the age of 13 at Torbett�s home in Sighthill, Glasgow.

Torbett was subsequently jailed for two and a half years in 1998.

Since then a section of Rangers fans have been blasted for singing ââ?¬Ë?Big Jock Knewââ?¬â?¢ at games.

The chant alleges former Scotland and Celtic boss Jock Stein, right, tried to cover up Torbettââ?¬â?¢s sordid crimes. Me: ââ?¬Å?So did Big Jock know?ââ?¬Â

Alan says emphatically: ââ?¬Å?No chance. Big Jock wouldnââ?¬â?¢t stand for any nonsense would he?

ââ?¬Å?But I tell you who did know ââ?¬â? The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

ââ?¬Å?They stood by him. One of the Kellys was even with Torbett in court. That p****d me off big style.ââ?¬Â

Alan, who has three daughters Michelle, 25, Lucy, 23, and 17-year-old Stephanie with wife Jill, added: ââ?¬Å?I got lots of negative comments.

ââ?¬Å?Even in court the judge asked me why I hadnââ?¬â?¢t said something at the time.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s not something you go home and say to your mum and dad ââ?¬Ë?guess what happened to me today?ââ?¬â?¢

ââ?¬Å?But I promise you there were lots of others. I had a phone call afterwards from a well-known footballer who played in England.

ââ?¬Å?He was in tears, saying he was so glad Iââ?¬â?¢d come forward.

ââ?¬Å?It wasnââ?¬â?¢t just Celtic Boysââ?¬â?¢ Club. These paedophiles are attracted to anything with children.

Advertisement

Click here

ââ?¬Å?If they had touched any of my daughters Iââ?¬â?¢d have killed them.ââ?¬Â

As for the Rangers fansââ?¬â?¢ sick chants, Alan laughs: ââ?¬Å?Uch, I expected that. I grew up with all that I donââ?¬â?¢t think thereââ?¬â?¢s anything wrong with it.

ââ?¬Å?As long as both sides are just 90-minute bigots inside the stadium and not outside, Iââ?¬â?¢ve not got a problem. I hate all this talk of docked points and fines ââ?¬â? what a load of nonsense.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s what makes the Celtic-Rangers rivalry so unique.ââ?¬Â

Easy to say when you live hundreds of miles away I guess.

But Alan clearly loves London life. He has a flat near Canary Wharf and returns home to his missus in Suffolk at weekends.

He said: ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m convinced I gave the English the word numpty.

ââ?¬Å?No one said it down here 10 years ago. Now it even pops up on EastEnders.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m going to try them with ââ?¬Ë?gallusââ?¬â?¢ next.ââ?¬Â

Wrecked

But how did a boy from Glasgow�s southside end up with a name like Brazil anyway?

Alan smiles: ââ?¬Å?Ah, thatââ?¬â?¢s a long story.

ââ?¬Å?Basically it involves a ship from the Spanish Armada being wrecked off the coast of Ireland, a survivor, and the potato famine... ââ?¬Â

Sounds like a good pub tale to me.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/mattmeets/article2302640.ece

Guest WeeArra

ââ?¬Å?But I tell you who did know ââ?¬â? The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

Is Big Al telling us that our (Glasgow) wonderful ex Lord Provest Michael Kelly knew as well?

At least he is talking a bit of sense here:

As for the Rangers fans’ sick chants, Alan laughs: “Uch, I expected that. I grew up with all that I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

“As long as both sides are just 90-minute bigots inside the stadium and not outside, I’ve not got a problem. I hate all this talk of docked points and fines — what a load of nonsense.

“That’s what makes the Celtic-Rangers rivalry so unique.”

At least he is talking a bit of sense here:

As for the Rangers fansââ?¬â?¢ sick chants, Alan laughs: ââ?¬Å?Uch, I expected that. I grew up with all that I donââ?¬â?¢t think thereââ?¬â?¢s anything wrong with it.

ââ?¬Å?As long as both sides are just 90-minute bigots inside the stadium and not outside, Iââ?¬â?¢ve not got a problem. I hate all this talk of docked points and fines ââ?¬â? what a load of nonsense.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s what makes the Celtic-Rangers rivalry so unique.ââ?¬Â

Now that really is Sense over Sectarianism.